Algae or something else? (Newbie)

May 1, 2012
NC USA
What does algae look like? Would I know I have it? I have some brownish looking "stuff" on my pool bottom and usually just have a thin line of sand along both sides if we have anything brown in color. (we still need to do landscaping around the pool so we are surrounded by sand and the kids/dog track it in) I vacuum the pool at least once daily, usually just the sand along the sides and some occasional bugs. We do not have trees in the immediate area.

A few days ago, I had a couple of green leafy looking little things floating around in the water. I vacuumed them out and then added some bleach- we had a large bather load the day before so I thought it may help. I also cleaned my Jandy Cartridge filter off- it was caked with mud and filthy but eventually returned to white and looked decent. Anyway, today I don't see anymore of those green leafy things but I do have this brownish stuff on the bottom and it was there yesterday as well. My first thought was that it was some residual mud from the filter being cleaned that maybe was in the pipes or something. It shows up after I run the pump. It MAY just be sand that is just located in the center of the pool for whatever reason however until now we have not had anything ever sit in the center of the pool.

If it is algae what is the best way to kill it off and FAST? I am due to have company for swimming this weekend!!!! OY!

Oh, my test #'s from today: Tested with (TF-100)
FC-10
CC -.5
TC-10.5
CH-haven't run it yet...it changed purple initially and we need to redo but can't right now.
CYA-50
My salt system says it is running at 80% but I have NO idea what amount of salt. Sorry!

Thoughts? Thanks everyone!

I would raise the FC up to shock level and hold it there until you pass the overnight test. If you have not landscaped around the pool it is possible that what you are seeing in the pool is just dirt. But, with your CC being .5 you have something in there and it's worth a shock. What is your PH and TA?

moppymo said:
Whoops, Sorry! TA is 140 and my PH is 7.2.

I just picked up two huge things of bleach to use to shock it in a few minutes. Hoping that is enough?!
It probably isn't enough. Have you carefully read The Shock Process?

[center:p5ipkvp4]
file.php
[/center:p5ipkvp4]

Well, I added both large containers of bleach tonight and am going to run the pump on high all night-I also pushed the Super Chlorinate button on the salt system so maybe that will help a bit albeit very slowly. I can't get to the store tonight to get any more bleach but at least this is a start. I scrubbed and vacuumed the pool well and am hoping for the best. I have to leave town tomorrow so I will just leave the pump on high and see how the pool looks when I get back.

We've had a TON of rain, my pool is actually a bit high(water depth) because of the rain so that may have contributed to the algae-if that is indeed what it was. It isn't so high that it isn't skimming though. The sand we have daily because of the lack of landscaping usually looks like it is sprinkled in- scattered thinly but in a line along the sides and across the deep end. This stuff today and yesterday too- was more like little clumps or large blobs of "debris" that were scattered throughout the pool-including in the center where nothing ever lands and sits on the bottom. That tells me it is probably something more than sand. It also seemed sort of a weird consistency but vacuumed up fairly easily.

I'm still VERY confused about the water testing and trying to get it balanced. I think I *knew* more before I had a test kit and things seemed to run smoother back then. Now I'm not sure what to add and what not to add.... and the calculator must have a learning curve or maybe I just need to check it out when I'm not exhausted.

Anyway, thank you for your help, responses and thoughts! I appreciate them!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.