High pump pressure 23lbs and low pressure at the return line

Aug 10, 2012
I have an in ground pool with Hayward sand filter, heater and chlorinator. Last monday I noticed that the pressure gauge was at 23 lbs, so I backwashed. Normally it would have dropped back to 14lbs, but it stayed at 23lbs and the pressure at the three returns was very low. Almost non-existent at the two by the stairs and a little more by the deep end. I switched the filter to recycle and the pressure stayed the same, so I did not feel it was a sand issue. Took the top off the chlorinator, turned on the pump and I had water spraying up about 7', so I believe the pressure is good that far. I was stumped at that point, so I had a local company come out (mistake). I was not here while they tested, but they say they tested the pressure going to the outlets and they did not see an issue. The switched out the sand, no change and now they are stumped as well. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Thank you.

Re: High pump pressure 23lbs and low pressure at the return

does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off? Yes it zeros out when I turn off the pump. The company checked the gauge as well.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thought I'd add that the the pool is 8-9 yrs old and we have all the original equipment. No issues until last week. Getting some bubbles out of the deep end return. Lots of pressure when backwashing.

Try running the filter in recirculate mode on the multiport valve. If the gauge reads lower on recirculate, your problem lies in the sand filter. If it reads the same, you may have a blockage somewhere.

Edit: I just read you did try recirculate, I must have missed that part. Its possible you have a blockage in the plumbing or pump/impeller.

The problem would likely be after the filter so do you have any check valves after the filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.