Did my refill today

ajackson

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2012
Central Ohio
Ok.. so they came today and added back the 7200 gallons of water that we took out last night (about 1/2 the volume)
Pool is still cloudy. but I can now see the bottom in the shallow end
Here are my current numbers
FC .5
CC .5
PH 7.3
TA 100
CYA 80-90 hard to tell. did the test twice

So I am going to go to Shock level of 35 just to be safe Right ?

and I need to bump my PH up according to pool school and calculator 43oz borax

My question is.. do I add the Borax first ? how long should I wait to add the bleach?

Ok.. I am going out right now to add it. Then I am going to the store and buying somemore... since I will be home I want to do the overnight test tonight and then keep it up to shock level all day tomorrow.. and see if I still lose fc tomorrow night. Does that sound like a good plan?

New To the BBB First Shock process

[Moved by moderator - try to keep related posts together. Thanks, jblizzle]

No I am confused. Here is my senario
CYA was at 160 dump 1/2 water and refilled today. 4pm it was at 80-90 (very cloudy here today and hard to read)
I could see the bottom of the shallow end but not deep
levels were
FC .5
CC .5
PH 7.3
TA 100
CYA 80-90

So I started the shock process (added 4 gallons 12.5%) and then at 8pm
FC 27.5 (added another gallon)
cc 0

My confusion comes more from the pool calculator vs CYA/shock chart
pool calculator says shock level 20 based on cya.... cya chart says 35

Which should I be using? I really dont want to bleach out my liner anymore than it is. I am afraid if I keep it at 35 that will happen
Should I continue to check as late as possible? Is it ok to do FC in the house light (using taylor 2006)
I also wonder if it is normal that now my pool looks like milk and I cant even see the bottom of the last step.

I am sure you all have more advice for me. Thanks again.

Re: New To the BBB First Shock process

Use either shock level. The chart is a little more aggressive but completely safe for the liner.
Check and adjust the FC as often as possible (no less than an hour) as much as you can until the FC seems to start holding.
All the tests are fine in the house with the CYA as the exception.
Likely the cloudiness is just dead algae waiting to be filtered out ... realize sand filters are the slowest at clearing the pool (although the least work)

Re: New To the BBB First Shock process

jblizzle said:
Use either shock level. The chart is a little more aggressive but completely safe for the liner.
Check and adjust the FC as often as possible (no less than an hour) as much as you can until the FC seems to start holding.
All the tests are fine in the house with the CYA as the exception.
Likely the cloudiness is just dead algae waiting to be filtered out ... realize sand filters are the slowest at clearing the pool (although the least work)

One more thing... well maybe 2 or more.. probably more.. anyway
Will it take longer if I hold at 20 instead of 35 ?
as for the sand filter. do you know if you can get DE in less then Giant bags anywhere.. seems to be in 25 lbs everyplace I see

thanks again..

20 will probably take slightly longer than 35 ... not sure if the difference would be hours or days though.

I have heard Walmart sometimes has 10 lb boxes ... be sure to get the stuff for the pool, not food grade.

jblizzle said:
20 will probably take slightly longer than 35 ... not sure if the difference would be hours or days though.

I have heard Walmart sometimes has 10 lb boxes ... be sure to get the stuff for the pool, not food grade.

jbizzle.. that is good to know.. I was going to go in there tonight and get some borax just incase I needed it but didnt.. Looks like I will be making a trip tomorrow

Everyone on this board is Great.. I cant thank you enough..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep in mind that adding the DE to the filter will increase the amount of back flushing you will need to do. In your case it will help you out a TON of your CYA level could stand to be cut in 1/2 again to make your life VERY easy, but I understand your concern as it's only going to be open for another month. Try an OCLT tonight as you planned and see what the water looks like tomorrow. My guess say's you'll be somewhat pleased. :D

Ok.. It is getting better Yeah!!! I can barley see the bottom of the shallow end
Last night at 10:15pm
FC 23
CC 0
It is 8am here are my numbers
FC 20.5
CC 0
So should I just monitor every couple of hours today and keep the FC at shock level 20 like pool calculator suggest?
Or should I bump that FC up alittle higher today ? It is cold, cloudy and windy here right now.

My test at 12 noon today
FC 16.5
CC .5
Must still be something so I used the calculator and bump back up to 26 with a gallon of 12.5

Now thinking I should have went with TF100 instead of K-2006 I dont wanna run out of FC reagent... Ugh. hopefully I can get thru Monday and get to Leslies since it will be faster than by mail
Is it normal for the CC to be at 0 then go back up to .5 when you are still shocking?
Thanks Again.

Yep....plus keep in mind there is a .5 accuracy of the test too. The 0 could be .5 and the .5 could be 0

What does the water look like?

no one ever believes us that the TF100 is the better value. Hope you can find the reagents locally. If not, tftestkits.net sells them.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
no one ever believes us that the TF100 is the better value. Hope you can find the reagents locally. If not, tftestkits.net sells them.

Live and Learn.. Anyway I went online about an hour ago and ordered some replacement 0870 0871 0013 from tftestkits.
I have been doing the FC 10ml x .5 with large scoop of 0080. (still have quite a bit left)
that r-0013 goes quick.. I do have part of my second bottle so I have only done that test a couple times. I ordered the big refill
I live in OH and they should get her quickly.. I did read a thread about diluting to 5ml adding drops x 2.
I think I will do that for all except my overnight test.
I figure that is better than nothing
Right?

Thanks once again for the help

ok. I am almost there Pool is sparkling... YEAH.. You all are Great!!!
8am
FC 23 (only lost 2 overnight)
CC 0

It is super sunny here today so at 1pm I had already went down
FC 12 (bumped back up to 25)
CC 0

Water temp has dropped to 71 beacuse of refill/rain/cold at night
Is it safe to put the solor cover on with the FC that high ?

The sun helps break down the CC, so putting the cover on may result in the CC going up and the FC having to break them down. But you can put it on if you like.

Re: Did my refill today *** Update with Pic****

:-D :-D
You guys are so great... I LOVE the BBB... My pool hasnt been this clear in 2 years!!!
Thanks to all the wonderful advice on this site.. I went from cloudy water that I couldnt ever see the bottom to what is pictured below in just 3 days.....

I cant thank you enough..
FC 18.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
I passed the OCLT last night and tonight when I got home I have a crystal clear pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very cloudy outside so the picture does not do the water justice

So now it is safe to let the FC start going down to the 10 range.. Right ??

Attachments

• 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 121
ajackson,

I'm sorry but we don't take well to imposters here on the forum. Put some water in that pool and post a real picture.
(nice touch painting the steps that light blue where the water line should be but we are not tricked that easily)

(Yes, let your FC come down to normal range....Nice work! :goodjob: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.