Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool was great, now it's cloudy.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool was great, now it's cloudy.

Here are my numbers with the recommended pool kit.

Wed Thurs Friday 11:00 a.m. Friday 2:30 p.m.
    pH 7.5 7.5 7.3 (start aeration) 7.5
    FC 5.0 5.0 3.0 (added 1 1/4 gal bleach) 10
    CC .5 .5 .5 .5(prob. less)
    CYA 90

Wednesday - Noticed pool starting to have some green "dust" on bottom. Was still clear, not sparkly. Didn't add bleach. Vacuumed extensively.
    Thursday - Cloudy, not as much "dust"
    Friday - much cloudier, brushed/vacuumed at 10:00 a.m. Added bleach as indicated above.

Do I shock even though CC isn't above .05?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool was great, now it's cloudy.

Yes, you need to perform the shock process. With CYA 90, FC should be maintained between 7 and 12. 7 being the minimum. One day wouldn't have hurt it, but you show several days in a row below 7.

Hopefully it will only take a few days, because it's going to take a whole lot of bleach to maintain the shock level of 23. Or you can drain off half the water and refill the pool to get CYA to 45, which will only require FC above 16 for the shock process.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here's another question. When doing the CYA test I keep adding until I can't see the dot at all, even a shadow, correct? Just want to make sure I'm reading it right. We started with zero CYA because it was a new pool.
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota

4. Back To Top    #4

The dot is completely gone, totally obscured.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard,

thanks for the reply about the CYA. After doing more reading, I was hoping that my CYA was reading false - 100 seems really high when I started with zero in May. Middle of July it was 20, unfortunately, my memory is fuzzy and I don't remember if I added more stabilizer after the reading of 20. I ran it through the coffee filter and it still read 90 .

Here's the progress since yesterday.

4:30 p.m. 9 + .5 = 10.5 tc - added 960 oz of bleach, brushed
    6:30 p.m. 45 + .5 = 45.5 tc - brushed
    9:00 p.m. 39 + 0 = 39 tc - brushed
    today
    7:30 a.m. (before sun hit pool) 37 + forgot to check = 37? some green dust on bottom around edges, water slightly improved
    9:00 a.m. vacuumed
    10:00 a.m. 34 + .5 = 34.5

I am beginning to doubt my counting abilities so I am going to have hubby start the counting - math major and all

I am going to add 1 1/2 gallons of bleach per pool calculator.

Anything else I should be doing? We debated about draining to lower CYA, but have a farewell/pool party planned for Monday night and didn't want to lose the heat. I'm beginning to wonder if that is a wise decision - it looks like it won't top 80 degrees before Monday so I doubt we will have any swimmers anyways. What is your thought on draining?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota

6. Back To Top    #6

Does it appear to be improving at all?

At this point, it seems a little late to start draining. You've added so much bleach already. Plus, the swim season is drawing to a close up where you live, you'll be draining down soon anyway, right?

Perhaps a little DE added to the filter will get the particles out for you. Directions are in Pool School.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ooh, I really hope we're not nearing the end of our pool season, even if we are in Minnesota I have visions of still being in there in late September with the help of the solar cover. This is our first year, so we'll see if I'm being over optimistic. Guess I will practice a little POP.

I think it's still swimmable, just gotta get that cover back on to warm it up. I plan on throwing the cover, ladder and all the toys in there this afternon to make sure they are good and sanitized. Soak for a couple of hours, right?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota

8. Back To Top    #8

Another question plus the question above about sanitizing cover and etc.

If CYA is at 90-100, is it still an accurate reading? Should we go ahead and drain some of the pool?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota

9. Back To Top    #9

You can redo the test as many times as you want just pour the mixture back into the squeeze bottle and re test as many times as you like, but it is very important to have the sun at your back and hold the test tube at waist level and if you like have your spouse perform the test and compare results.....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

10. Back To Top    #10

It could also be above 100 so take a 50/50 mixture of pool water and tap water and double the results.....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Plus, the swim season is drawing to a close up where you live, you'll be draining down soon anyway, right?
    Don't you dare say that Richard

IIRC, we swam until mid-september last year

As to whether or not to drain...I probably wouldn't unless you get algae. As Richard said ( ), just make sure to maintain your FC above 7 ppm at all times. But do the dilution test that fastchev suggested, so we know where you are for sure.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

You know back in may the only thing I knew about pools was that there was water in them and that you swam in them but after 8 or so hours a day reading on here and learning I can help people thank you TFP you all are the greatest........Mike

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by fast1971chevelle
    It could also be above 100 so take a 50/50 mixture of pool water and tap water and double the results.....Mike
    I did this test. Much easier to read. Came up with 40 so I guess I'm actually at 80 so will adjust the chorline accordingly. Next year I won't be so anxious about getting the CYA up there if I'm not loosing a ton of chlorine. Maybe two weeks in between adding stabilizer just to make sure it's all absorbed.

I'm getting low on chlorine testing drops so I started diluting the water with distilled water like someone suggested on another topic to help me hold out until I get another refill. Email sent yesterday said it was on its way

I'm passing one of the three tests and have questions about the other two.

Here are my test results since starting

Friday 4:30 10.5 added 960 oz of bleach, brushed
    6:30 45.5
    9:00 39
    Saturday 7:30 37
    10:00 34.5 added 192 oz bleach, brushed
    Noon 40.5
    3:30 29 added 384 oz bleach, brushed
    6:00 41
    10:00 36.5 added 96 oz bleach
    Sunday 7:00 39.5
    12:30 36 added 112 oz bleach
    8:30 35 added 96 oz bleach, brushed
    Monday 9:00 a.m. 30 added 172 oz bleach, brushed *** up to this point cc has been at .5 now it tested at 6.5 realized I overdosed on chlorine today when going back over the numbers - I subtracted instead of adding
    Did diluted CYA rest - see above results
    10:00 p.m. 38 - +++diluted chlorine test because I'm getting low on drops
    Tuesday 7:30 a.m. 28 added 310 oz bleach ++++ see above forgot to check CC before dumping water and didn't want to redo because of low supply of tester chemical

Question 1 - how come all of a sudden CC jumped to 6.5? At 10 p.m. it was at zero again. On Saturday afternoon my husband put the ladder back in which had been out since Friday night - which is weighed down by filling with water. Could this have made CC jump up and then back down?
    Question 2 - when do I put the cover and toys back in the pool to sterilze them?
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Minnesota