Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump timer

Let me start by saying that I do not know what kind of timer I have at the moment. I think it's just a generic outdoor timer.

I'm changing from a single speed 1 HP to a dual speed 1 HP. Is it likely that my current timer will work with the new pump (I mean, are they generally compatible?)? What do I need to know to find out if they are compatible?

I tried calling some pool stores.. useless. If it wasn't for TFP, I would've filled the pool in with dirt and started a vegetable garden.

Thanks!
    Sara
    17,000 gal, Posi-Flo Sta-Rite cartridge filter, IG, pebble, Water Ace (GE) 1 HP/1.25 SF 115/230V, 100 GPM (Resid.)/37.5 GPM (public pool), 102 SQ FT filter. Future upgrade: 250 SqFt filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump timer

Your timer will work in a sense.

It will still run your pump on either hi or low but won't automatically switch between them. You'll have to manually switch speeds.

You'll need an external speed selector switch if the motor didn't come with one already.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I think I can handle manually switching speeds...
    17,000 gal, Posi-Flo Sta-Rite cartridge filter, IG, pebble, Water Ace (GE) 1 HP/1.25 SF 115/230V, 100 GPM (Resid.)/37.5 GPM (public pool), 102 SQ FT filter. Future upgrade: 250 SqFt filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you go with the 1HP Superflo 2-speed, mine came with a switch installed on the back of the motor.

At this point I leave it on low. You could switch it to high for vacuuming or to run a cleaner if needed. Eventually I will remove the switch and put a controller on it to run on high for solar heating.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Excellent, Thank you!

6. Back To Top    #6

This is the timer that will let you set run time on high and rin time on low.

http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-PE153- ... pool+timer
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

7. Back To Top    #7

Or this mechanical one for less $$$:
    http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T10604 ... 0039Q7NYI/
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you! That's super helpful!

9. Back To Top    #9

Also realize that any of the automation systems (with or without a SWG) have the ability to control the 2-speed motors ... may not be something you actually need though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Cost is a major concern for me now, so I think that I will just manually switch from high to low as needed. My only concern is that it sounds like some pumps won't start up on low? But even if that's the case, I can still work around it.

11. Back To Top    #11

They may not prime on low. But once it is primed, it should have no problem starting back up on low (assuming you have to leaks that allow the pump to loose prime when it is off).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

You're Awesome.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by HeritageCove
    You're Awesome.
    Thanks
    Jason, TFP Moderator