Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness?

I went to Leslie's today and had my pool water tested. Everything is fine but they told me to put 8 pounds of calcium hardness in the pool. This will be my third season and no one has ever told me to do that to me before. Do I need to buy their 8 pound bucket or is there something cheaper to use to raise the calcium level?
    I have a above ground 7500 gallon pool and live in Va. We fill it with city water.
    Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    You don't need it in a vinyl lined pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I got this same message about our pool. The gal said we needed a bit of CH because, while it might not harm the vinyl, it can cause damage to the plumbing of the pool, metal parts etc. ???
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, so they were just trying to sell me stuff, go figure!

5. Back To Top    #5
    I tend to think that CH is irrelivant for vinyl pools but there is some possibility that it is important if you have a heater. This has been debated on the pool forum for some time to no definate conclusion. ALso, some builders require it as a condition of the warranty, in which case it is worth doing for that reason alone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School