Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just dropped bottle of OTO in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Just dropped bottle of OTO in pool

This week, I moved to a new home that has a swimming pool. I've never had a pool before, so I've just started learning about taking care of one. I stupidly bought a cheap water test set from academy to check the alkalinaty, pH, and chlorine levels. Well, today I was testing the chlorine for the first time. Previously, I was careful to test over the pavement but today I was in a hurry and stupidly had the test tube over the water. Well, the dropper part of the bottle was never even secured properly and when I squeezed it fell out and dumped about 2/3rds of the bottle before I could react. The pool is 26,600 gallons. On top of all this, I don't have Internet at this house yet, and the 3G that I'm using to post this is very spotty. What do I need to do to make my pool safe again? Thank you for any advice. This was definitely not the way I wanted to start off with my first pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just dropped bottle of OTO in pool

You didn't hurt anything. Finish the test with the reagent you have left and raise the FC to where it should be and go swimming. There's nothing to worry about.

I wouldn't pour gallons of the stuff in the pool but oz isn't going to hurt anything.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much. After I calmed down, I realized that it would probably dilute enough to be safe, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I proceeded.

4. Back To Top    #4

No worries.......dilution is the solution.

So, were you able to tell you had chlorine? Some pool guys put a drop right in to see about chlorine level...sometimes in lieu of testing!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by YH5
    This week, I moved to a new home that has a swimming pool. I've never had a pool before, so I've just started learning about taking care of one. I stupidly bought a cheap water test set from academy to check the alkalinaty, pH, and chlorine levels.
    I would highly recommend you get a TF-100 test kit! *Mine* hasn't jumped into the pool yet, its so reliable

The moderator posters here usually have a link in their siggy files to the source of ordering. If you order today you'll probably have it by next week.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain