Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For the very first time this season, I just.....

1. Back To Top    #1

For the very first time this season, I just.....

....put the solar blanket on my pool. Until today I've easily maintained upper 80s and had to cool it to keep it below 92, but the high today is in the 70's and cloudy with lows in the 50s tonight.

The cover was still in the basement, so I still have to mount it on the reel just a few weeks before the season ends.

Quite a change, and it may be almost two weeks before we have typical swimming weather again. Weird year.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For the very first time this season, I just.....

Yeah it sure has been a weird summer!

3. Back To Top    #3

we are in indiana too. this whole year has been out of the ordinary. Two weeks ago, we napped in the pool to stay cool. Today, we are wearing jeans, sweatshirts and socks! Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
    The only thing sure about the weather in this state is that it changes frequently! It's sure been a hot one though...good summer to have a pool!
    1970's kidney shaped pool. 23,000 gallons with concrete bottom and fiberglass walls, both painted in 2012 with epoxy paint. Single speed "energy efficient" 1 hp hayward super pump and hayward S-200 sand filter. Main drain leaks, and is thus disconnected. 16 mil ultraclear solar cover. Located in Northern Indiana. TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I am in Ohio and thru out my solar cover at the end of last season because it died..
    I was looking the the weather reports the other day and decided to order a new one because of our crazy weather.
    I sure hope Fall doesnt come fast this year...
    14500k inground, vinyl, built in 2007
    Hayward Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, AquaCal electric heat pump
    Taylor K 2006

6. Back To Top    #6

I just pulled ours out of the garage today, too! Unfortunately, it must not have been completely dry last year when it got put away. It was still damp in the folded up middle and phhheeeeeweeee, does it smell! It's currently draped over the deck to get sprayed down with a weak bleach solution and then air and dry out before I put it in my sparkly pool!
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

7. Back To Top    #7

Gotta love Indiana... crazy weather!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

It has been another strange summer in So Cal also, third year in a row. I'm near the beach and we have been in the 70's all summer long until this last week when we finally broke into the 90's. This was the first time we turned on the AC this year. With solar heating, I've maintained the pool temp around 85 in the morning and 90 degrees by evening all summer long without a cover. Last year we took the cover out of storage around the end of September and swam until mid November in comfortable water. The weather is one perk of So Cal, other than that I'm not too sure.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ping
    The weather is one perk of So Cal, other than that I'm not too sure.
    Lack of bugs is the best thing about your area. I can handle the weather here, but the flys and mosquitoes are another story.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10

The mosquitos I agree are usually unbearable in Indiana... with the dry weather this summer, we have seen very few this year. We just seen very few insects this summer, unlike normal. Can't say I miss them!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits