2 Speed Basics

I realize that this is probably a very elementary question, but I'm pretty over my head already...

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 2-speed. I currently have a 1 HP pump and I want to get a 1 HP 2-speed pump (right now I'm looking at the Pentair SuperFlo).

Hypothetically, if I'm currently running my pump for 6 hours and I switch to the 2-speed on Low, do I just run it for 12 hours (twice the time)? Or are there more complicated calculations depending on the specific pump or do I just go back to the drawing board and guess at a run time and then drop it down in half hour increments until I reach the sweet spot?

Thanks in advance!
Sara

Doubling the time on low would move the same amount of water for half the electricity cost as on high speed. What is your current pump add it may be a different service factor than the superflo?

You may need to experiment some as the skimming may not do quite as well on low.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

To get to the same turnover rate, you need to run low speed twice as much as you would for high speed. However, there are other factors that come into play such as the effectiveness of skimming and if you use an automatic pool cleaner. Both may require some time on high speed so may want to experiment some.

Also, you may not need 6 hours with your current pump. Have you tried running it with a shorter run time? I have a bigger pool than yours and I can get away with two hours on high speed and two hours on low speed and really it is only the high speed that does the cleaning (i.e. skimming/vacuuming). Low speed is mainly for chlorination/circulation.

Thanks Mark and Jason!

I don't know too much about my current pump. It came with the house and I think the brand is a WaterAce, which I was told is a "throw away brand" whatever that means.

No automatic pool cleaner (manually vacuum=me).

It looks like this will take some experimentation, but I appreciate the tips. I'll start with the assumption that low speed will take twice as long to circulate and then drop it down from there.

Thank you!
Sara

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.