Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in jets when running solar heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in jets when running solar heater

Lately I've noticed a steady stream of very tiny bubbles comming out of my jets when I run the solar heater. I did a test last weekend where I turned the solar off but kept the pump running and instantly the bubbles disappeared. After a half hour or so, I turned the solar back on and instantly the bubbles appeared. I called the solar guy and he said it could be due to my filter being clogged. The pressure is a little high and I was going to backwash it this weekend anyhow, but I'm just looking for other opinions or a sanity check here.

Is this being caused by a dirty filter or is there something else happening here?
    Could it be sucking in air somewhere along the piping and heating pannels on the roof, or would I see water leaking out?

Thanks!
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air in jets when running solar heater

Maybe some info on your plumbing set up will help others comment (is it a mixed feed or a dedicated return, panels on roof, etc)

On my solar set up I have a dedicated return from panels to the pool and when I get bubbles coming thru it's usually due to not enough pressure in the line therefore throttling the valve so more water is directed to the solar panels solves the problems.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

A dirty filter can reduce the pressure at the vacuum release valve and allow air to enter the system. Clean the filter and the air should go away.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with the others - I've had the same problem here. Your pump needs to maintain enough pressure to keep the panels full of water - if it's not pumping hard enough, then the panels will suck in air through the vacuum valve at the top. The most likely is a dirty filter (or not enough speed on a variable speed pump).
    Linda

12' X 36" Intex Metal Frame Set (2530 GAL)
    2500 gph Intex cartridge pump
    Aquabot Pool Rover Jr.
    Tons of trees and pollen