Step-by-step how to rinse/clean sand filter?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
I've never rinsed or cleaned my sand filter in the 4 years I've owned the pool, because I'm unfamiliar with the equipment and loathe to pay someone to do it. At this point, it's either channelled or dirty because the water returning to the pool has bits in it. (Great technical term, "bits.") I have a feeling this is a huge, all-day project since I have no clue what I'm doing, but it has to be done or I'll go crazy vacuuming the bits over and over!

I bought new sand and DE to add to the filter. Looked all over TFP, but can't find a "how-to" for either rinsing or changing sand, though I did find one for adding DE. I have an old-fashioned sand filter, so old that there is no make/model information anywhere. It's shaped like a big egg.

If you're able to help with this, please keep in mind that I have no idea what a "diffuser" or "lateral valve" or any other piece of equipment that might be obvious to you looks like. (I wish my whole pool came with a manual -- I am good with manuals -- but alas, no.) I'd like to start with the easiest possible fix, and proceed from there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

just did mine a few weeks go

dove into it

first thing if your gonna change the sand
pull the drain out on the bottom of the filter so the water drains out

remove the inlet and outlet pipes off the valve
remove the collar hold down on the valve which holds it to the filter housing

then just a slight rotate and pull up and it should slip right off leaving the lateral downtube in place

let the water all drain out of the filter
and let dry some

take a shop vac and suck out all the old sand
spray the inside of the housing down with the hose to rince the crud clear and check the laterals for any damage

once drained
put the plug back in the bottom of the filter

center your downpipe which holds the laterals
fill the filter half with water

cut an old soda can lid off and it should slip right over the downtube, this wills top sand from going down in the pipe

put in 1 bag of sand
make sure your pipe is straight and centered in the opening

then put the requred mount of sand in

i was told it should be filled to where the top starts to round, meaning you have a bowl on the bottom, then a straight section, then the housing starts to round to close off

fill to there with sand
remove the soda can

fill the rest with water

put the valve back on

install the collar lock

put your pipes back

set to backwash

start her up backwash till clear

turn off

set to rince

rinse for 30 seconds or till clear

off

set to filter

start her up

Great info, I would make sure your shutoff valves works, also I lubed the o-ring on top of the tank before putting the collar on. Also if there are 2 screws in the top for the collar you kind of want to tighten then evenly if it is that type to avoid one side being tight and the other pulling so hard it strips the nut or bends the clamp. that is no biggie, couple turns one side then the same on the other til it's tight.

I appreciate the help ... but I'm thinking that changing the sand may be over my head. If I'm going to attempt it, I need a diagram of a sand filter, so I know which parts you're referring to in your posts! Does anyone know where I can get one?

Also, what about just rinsing the sand and adding DE? Is it possible that will solve my problem without changing the sand? If yes, what is the easiest way to rinse the sand? (I found the Pool School post about adding DE, so I'm good on that.)

Thanks!

just open the top and slowly run a hose down in throughout the sand letting the dirty water spill out. Continue until you stop getting dirty water spilling out.

If you find it to be very chunky that don't easily break up, then consider replacing it.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

when i tried that i didnt drain it first of water and my laterals pulled right up out of the sand

also after 20 min the water was still very cloudy and dirty so i just decided to take it all out, which i had to do anyways to get the laterals to reset under the sand

singerteacher said:
I've never rinsed or cleaned my sand filter in the 4 years I've owned the pool, because I'm unfamiliar with the equipment and loathe to pay someone to do it. At this point, it's either channelled or dirty because the water returning to the pool has bits in it. (Great technical term, "bits.") I have a feeling this is a huge, all-day project since I have no clue what I'm doing, but it has to be done or I'll go crazy vacuuming the bits over and over!

I bought new sand and DE to add to the filter. Looked all over TFP, but can't find a "how-to" for either rinsing or changing sand, though I did find one for adding DE. I have an old-fashioned sand filter, so old that there is no make/model information anywhere. It's shaped like a big egg.

If you're able to help with this, please keep in mind that I have no idea what a "diffuser" or "lateral valve" or any other piece of equipment that might be obvious to you looks like. (I wish my whole pool came with a manual -- I am good with manuals -- but alas, no.) I'd like to start with the easiest possible fix, and proceed from there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Most all sand filters work the same way. Some have different valves, but they work the same way and have similar parts. So you can Google virtually any manufacturer for their sand filter manual and get a description of how the filter is put together. I have a Waterway sand filter and it is also egg shaped. You can Google "Waterway Sand Filter Manual" and can look at a PDF which will show you how they are put together. Also in Pool School there is a glossary with pictures of parts that man have some of the parts in question. I haven't looked at it for these parts, but it is fairly complete.

Since you say you have not cleaned it, I assume you do not know how to backwash the filter. You may want to try that first. If you can post pictures of your filter, we can tell you exactly how to backwash and if necessary change out the sand.

If you get stuck, just post here and someone will be along to help you.

Oh yes. I've backwashed probably 100 times. But I've never rinsed the sand with a hose, added DE to it, or changed the sand.

Thanks for the info about a manual. Would still like to know, step-by-step, how to just rinse the sand (not backwash). It sounds like I need to drain the water first by unscrewing the plug, then take off the clear plastic half-bubble-thing on top, then just stick a hose in there? Does that sound right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds correct to me, but I have never done it. Put the drain cap back on before you start with the hose. Most dirt should be in the upper levels of the sand.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The last part of this video recommends a much different trigger for backwashing than TFP does but if you ignore that last bit of advice there is a pretty good explanation of the filter and how it works:

[youtube:iciu22zw]w_J5KgIqhD4[/youtube:iciu22zw]

I'll keep looking for better videos.

I'm probably backwashing too often, according to this video. But I haven't found a better way to get rid of pollen -- which keeps collecting in the divets in my steps and floor -- than to vacuum up the pollen (and other bits) then backwash immediately. If I don't backwash right away, the pollen ends up right back in my pool. (Yes, I have skimmer socks, and they help ... but not enough.) I've been thinking that my sand filter is channelled or needs DE, and that's why it's not catching the pollen. I will find out soon!

singerteacher said:
From the pictures on Google, I think it's a Hayward S200. And I found a diagram at PoolCenter.com! I will try the sand rinse, and will add DE. If that doesn't help, I'll change the sand. Anything else I should know before I try the sand rinse?

Glad you found a diagram. You have the right idea. A couple of things, if your pool is higher than the filter than you need to shut off the line between the filter and the pool known as the return line. If you have a valve close it. If not find something to stop up the returns at the pool. Otherwise water from the pool will run out when you take off the valve. This should not be a problem if the filter is above the pool. Assuming you have a multiport valve on top of your filter you need to note it's orientation before you take the screws holding it on off so you can put it back exactly the same way. Also, in your diagram you will see what is called the spider gasket. Be careful with this. Sometimes they are glued in place other times they just sit there. IF this gasket is worn out or get's damaged it will have to be replaced. Then when you lift the valve off you may or may not just be able to poke your hose down into the tank. If not then you will have to remove the collar that holds the rest of the head on. I put duct tape over the stand pipe so that sand and dirty water do not get in it. Then just use the hose to poke around in the sand letting the dirt overflow. You will be amazed at how much dirt comes out with the overflowing water. Just be careful with the standpipe. As you can see in the diagram it is attached to the little laterals which are small pipes that are easily broken by putting pressure on them against the sand. If you break one you will have to remove the sand and replace it. So don't put side pressure on the standpipe. All of this sounds more complicated than it is. Again, if you have any questions or if something doesn't make sense post a picture and ask.

singerteacher said:
I'm probably backwashing too often, according to this video. But I haven't found a better way to get rid of pollen -- which keeps collecting in the divets in my steps and floor -- than to vacuum up the pollen (and other bits) then backwash immediately. If I don't backwash right away, the pollen ends up right back in my pool. (Yes, I have skimmer socks, and they help ... but not enough.) I've been thinking that my sand filter is channelled or needs DE, and that's why it's not catching the pollen. I will find out soon!

You can vacuum to waste as an option. When you wash it out with the hose you will get rid of any channels. The video is correct that a clean filter will not catch as small of particles as a dirty filter.

Also, in your diagram you will see what is called the spider gasket. Be careful with this. Sometimes they are glued in place other times they just sit there. IF this gasket is worn out or get's damaged it will have to be replaced.

My multiport comes off the side, not the top, so there isn't a spider gasket. But, there is an O-ring, which hopefully isn't stuck on, but I guess it might be. I will be careful with it -- hopefully, I won't have to buy a new one. I like your duct tape over the stand pipe idea. And I will be very careful when hosing off the sand so I don't break those laterals!

Thanks!

singerteacher said:

The TFP recommendation is to backwash when you get 25% rise from starting pressure. I'm not sure what drives that recommendation - I know it used to be a fixed rise of a certain PSI. I suspect it has to do with the fact that if you wait until the filter is as slow as they recommended in the video your circulation would be poor and you might develop algae - but I don't know this for certain.

singerteacher said:
Also, in your diagram you will see what is called the spider gasket. Be careful with this. Sometimes they are glued in place other times they just sit there. IF this gasket is worn out or get's damaged it will have to be replaced.

My multiport comes off the side, not the top, so there isn't a spider gasket. But, there is an O-ring, which hopefully isn't stuck on, but I guess it might be. I will be careful with it -- hopefully, I won't have to buy a new one. I like your duct tape over the stand pipe idea. And I will be very careful when hosing off the sand so I don't break those laterals!

Thanks!

If you can get the cover off the top of the filter, you can reach into the filter (with your hand or a stick) and break up the sand. Then put the filter in backwash and turn on the pump. The pump will force water backwards through the sand, carrying away all the accumulated junk out through the opening at the top of the filter.

Do this repeatedly until the water runs clear, and the sand is nice and loose.

Do be careful as you stir up the sand to not disturb the laterals at the bottom of the filter. :grrrr:

In extreme cases (heavy calcium buildup), pouring acid into the loosened sand and stirring it around will help...BE CAREFUL!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.