I'll try to keep it brief & to the point, I think algae may have gotten a start on me. My water had been sparkly for some time, then I noticed it was like Sweet Jane- she lost her sparkle and I knew she wasn't the same. I had to do some Truckin' over the weekend, so I added 182(? large jug) oz of Clorox before I left Friday night and left the sand filter running. When we got home Sunday night it was down to .5 TC so I brought it back up. I've been using the 12% liquid I've found at Ollie's, it seems to still have it's potency. Anyways... the water was still cloudy, but not green. I've vacuumed twice in the last 2 days what seems to be pollen. It's not slimy feeling, not on the walls, and it's not just in the shady spots.
When we finished swimming a few minutes ago I did a FAS/DPD test and found I now show .5 CC. I've never shown any CC in the past this season. I started to add 90 oz of 12% to bring it up to shock level. I added the first 30 oz, then realized I'd just added acid instead of chlorine. D'OH!
If I looked at the pool calculator correctly, that will bring my PH down to around 6.9 . I have baking soda/PH increaser to bring that back up once the shock process is finished. I added the 90 oz of chlorine and left the filter running, and also fired up the old Intex cartridge filter (with no element) to help circulate the water better.
8/6 Mondays numbers were:
PH: 8.0 (bought muriatic acid & lowered to 7.5 yesterday)
These numbers are fairly typical of my weekly testing. I do at least one OTO test daily.
Like Barney Fife used to say, Let's hope I nipped this in the bud!