Is it even possible to have a Borate reading of 365 ppm?

Jul 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I test my pool water daily myself, but I also take water to pool store once per week. For the first time all season, the test included a reading for Borate, and the reading was 365 ppm. Is it even possible to get a reading that high?

My follow up question is how did Borates get in my pool? I did not specifically add Borates, but I did switch from Tri-Chlor tabs to liquid Chlorine Bleach about 1 month ago.

Because I have not been testing for Borates, and the pool store just provided this reading for the first time (in fact, I did not even notice it on the computer print out until I got home), I have not even thought about Borates at all.

Our water has been clear all season and we have had no issues. My readings today (from pool store) were as follows:

FC = 2.00
TC = 2.10
CC = 0.10
pH = 7.6
Hard =286
Alk = 112
CYA = 100
Borate = 365

Do I need to be concerned or take an actions to correct the high Borate level?

Thanks in advance!

The reading is most likely an error of some type. Some options:

1) Take a sample back to the same store without telling them that you were in previously, and ask for a full water analysis, including borates. Of course, you will have to make sure that the same employee is not around.
2) Get your own test strips to test for borates.
3) Take a sample in to another store.

Richard320 said:
Have you been using anything else besides bleach and trichlor tablets?

Bioguard Optimizer will add Borates. I'm sure there's other packaged pool chemicals that have Borates as well, hidden behind some euphemistic name.

Other than the Tri-Chlor (which I used in the 1st half of this season), Muriatic Acid, Baking Soda and Jack's Magic, I am not adding anything else to the pool. Since it's a new plaster pool, it was recommended that I use 8 oz of Jack's on a weekly basis. The only ingredient listed on the Jack's bottle is Phosphonic Acid.

dmanb2b said:
Not very likely. Is your CYA really 100?

Yes, this is why I switched to Liquid Chlorine Bleach, so I don't add anymore CYA. Also, I am backwashing more frequently (taking extra water out and replacing with tap water) for the rest of the season. With the pool close about a month or so away, the pool will be drained below the return lines, so I figure by next season, I will start with a reasonable CYA number. Since I will be primarily using Liquid Chlorine Bleach starting next season (only use Tri-Chlor when on vacation), I don't think I will have such an elevated CYA next year.

Thoughts?

If you can; take a sample to a different store and get their input as well. My local hardware store tested my water and told me I had zero TA later after dumping pounds of increased in it registered 20ppm. The other measured values were pretty close to my tf100 results.

efm1972 said:
dmanb2b said:
Not very likely. Is your CYA really 100?

Yes, this is why I switched to Liquid Chlorine Bleach, so I don't add anymore CYA. Also, I am backwashing more frequently (taking extra water out and replacing with tap water) for the rest of the season. With the pool close about a month or so away, the pool will be drained below the return lines, so I figure by next season, I will start with a reasonable CYA number. Since I will be primarily using Liquid Chlorine Bleach starting next season (only use Tri-Chlor when on vacation), I don't think I will have such an elevated CYA next year.

Thoughts?

I'm sure you may know this by now, but FC of ppm with CYA at 100 is too low. I think your strategy makes sense. Have you tested CYA via 50:50 dilution of the pool water sample with tap water to make sure it's actually 100 and not something higher? If, so then what you are suggesting makes perfect sense, but you should be maintaining an FC of 12ppm average, while your CYA level is that high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JamesW said:
The reading is most likely an error of some type. Some options:

1) Take a sample back to the same store without telling them that you were in previously, and ask for a full water analysis, including borates. Of course, you will have to make sure that the same employee is not around.
2) Get your own test strips to test for borates.
3) Take a sample in to another store.

It turns out this was a clerical error on the part of the tester. They do not even test for Borates, but it is in their software package.

The 365 ppm reading is actually for Total Disolved Solids, not Borate.

The tester just put the reading for TDS in the Borate column. Oh the joys of modern technology :party:

Thanks all for your comments!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.