CC Level seems to be "stuck" at 0.5

Apr 18, 2010
Hi All,
My cc has always been 0. ~30 days ago it seemed to creep up to 1.0 so i shocked it with 2.5 lbs of trichlor.
dropped to 0.5 but not all the way to zero. shocked again with ~600 oz of 6% (household) bleach). went to 0 for a while but has since drifted back to 0.5.

here are my other stats:
Plaster,SWG, DE
26k gallons
TA: 100
FC: (I normally keep it at ~7. it's still about 10 from my last shock on sat)
CYA: 65
Saline: 3000
PH: keep it at 7.5 with MA (about 1g/week)
last backwashed: ~3 weeks ago. pressure maybe 1 lb higher than post backwash.

pool is clear and otherwise perfect except for this little 0.5 cc!

anything i am missing? do i just live with this 0.5?

thanks!
Eric

You likely did not shock your pool properly and long enough. Shocking with Trichlor is a really bad idea as it will raise your CYA and FC shock level.
With CYA at 65, your FC shock level is about 25 and you have to hold it at that level until you pass the overnight FC loss test, the water is clear and FC is 0.5 or less.

Liquid chlorine is your friend when shocking. :goodjob:

I would suggest reviewing the Shocking Your Pool process ... what you did was not what we recommend.

Raise the FC up close to shock level for you CYA (~26 ppm FC) and perform the OCLT to see if something is lurking in your water. If you fail, do the shock process correctly.

While 0.5ppm CC is usually fine, it sounds like this is not normal for your pool so could indicate something going on.

thanks!
i thought i did it right...brought it up to what i thought was 25ppm FC.
it's really hard to tell as the TF-100 seems to bleach out at these levels and i'm not sure how to read?

with regards to the trichlor: my CYA was ~50 when i used that (and thought it woas a nice way to bring me back up a bit in the CYA and accomplish the shock). I will stick with the liquid chlorine from now on.

I havent been brushing too well this summer. but i did do a thorough brush last weekend. didnt notice any algae.

do you recommend taking the light off and looking behind? i've never attempted this in the past.

BTW, pool is in its 3rd season.

thanks!

cc @1.0

hello again
still having a litle cc issue.
3 yr young SW pool. I normally keep FC in the 5-7 range and CYA ~60.
a few weeks ago i noticed 0.5-1.0 cc so shocked it up to ~25 2x (once with trichlor and once with liquid).
never did the OCLT but it stayed really higher for several days. cc seemed to stay at 0.5.
tested again today. appears cc may be at 1 again.
pool is clear and has been completely searched for algae and brushed several times this week.
any ideas what the issue could be?
any chance my TF-100 reagents/tools could be contributing? (i.e. the scoop i use to to the drop test is a little funky looking). I did change my reagents at the start of this year with a fresh supply.
really just trying to assess if the problem may not be the pool at all.
i'll do the OCLT tonight and see what happens.
thanks!

I doubt the reagents have anything to do with it. It might make sense to consider the reagents if you DIDN'T have any FC or CC reading. The fact that you do, indicates they are doing exactly what they are suposed to....detect the presence.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Backwash whenever your pressure goes up 25% from you "clean" pressure. If you do not know your clean pressure, do a long backwash making sure the backwash water goes very clear, then note your pressure once you are running in filter mode again.

50%.

i recently backwashed.
clean pressure is ~13 and that is where she is now.
didnt know if a backwash had to accompany the shock to completely "rid" the pool of any culprits.
i will skip the backwash.

just added the chlorine. my plan is to let the filter run until 11pm (4 hrs) then test.
i will also test in the am before sunrise.

is it safe to assume that if the 5am result is the same as the 11pm and if the cc is <=0.5 i'm good (water is already clear)

if it lost some FC or has CC, i'll bring it back up to 25 by adding more Cl.

i think i'll also keep my salt generator going during the day tomorrow. at the current temperature in the pool, it is
~50%. sound ok? should i adjust up or down?

thanks again!!!

The OCLT test requires that you not lose more than 1 ppm of FC. If you pass there's no sense running the SWG till your Chlorine levels drop close to your normal range. If you don't pass and want to supplement your bleach additions with the SWG go ahead but make sure when you do the OCLT again that it's off. Keep the pump running through the night. That way you can grab the morning test without waiting for the water to mix.

ok last night before bed it was 29ppm and this morning it was 26ppm.
i added enough bleach to bring it back to 29 and put the SWG on 30%.
came home from work and it was 18.5. Tested CC and it was 0.0
my plan is to test it again tonight and tomorrow am and if it hold i'm good.
i wasnt planning on bringing it back to ~28 tonight unless the experts (you guys) advise me to. my theory was the CC of 0 was a good sign and that i should see what the night brings. is this the right plan?
if overnight doesnt hold, i'll bring her back to ~28.
thanks again!

3ppm is a significant drop overnight .... don't be discouraged it you do not pass again.
Kind of surprised you lost as much as you did during the day with the SWG running as well.
Keep it up.

silly question but do i need to get up and test it before sunrise (i.e. 5:30am) or can it just be before the sun reaches an angle that could cause significant rays hitting the pool? getting up at 6:30 or 7 is so much better!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.