Lowerin pH with Dry Acid

May 29, 2011
Today I got a pH reading of approx. 7.9/8. Per the Taylor K2006 kit, I believe I am suppose to add approx. 5.5-7 lbs of dry acid into my 18K gallon vinyl pool. I purchased some from Leslies and before carefully reading the instructions, I added about 3.5 lbs of Dry Acid at once. The instructions say to not add more than 20 oz per 10K gallon pool, that means I've added approx. 24 oz more than I should have. Will this have any harmful affects to my pool?? Also, I've must of added about 20 lbs of this stuff this summer trying to battle a high pH level, is there any side effects to this?

Thanks.

As long as the dry acid is not sitting on you pool floor, you should be OK. If it is then brush your pool floor frequently until it is disolved. We prefer the use of muratic acid as it only adds salt to your water, while dry acid adds sulfur. Your TA is likely high and you likely have a SWG or a source of aeration or a new plaster surface, which is causing PH to rise.

What's your current PH reading?

dmanb2b said:
As long as the dry acid is not sitting on you pool floor, you should be OK. If it is then brush your pool floor frequently until it is disolved. We prefer the use of muratic acid as it only adds salt to your water, while dry acid adds sulfur. Your TA is likely high and you likely have a SWG or a source of aeration or a new plaster surface, which is causing PH to rise.

My pH reading is approximately 7.9 -8. I don't have a SWG pool...I think I just have a traditional chlorine pool. The pool is vinyl and is 18K in volume. What happens when I have too much sulfur? What tests would detect that?

3FootPool said:
My pH reading is approximately 7.9 -8. I don't have a SWG pool...I think I just have a traditional chlorine pool. The pool is vinyl and is 18K in volume. What happens when I have too much sulfur? What tests would detect that?
Probably your nose. :mrgreen:

I used dry acid at first, a bucketful, and I never noticed anything except the pH went down. Muriatic acid is cheap and easy. So if you already have the dry acid, use it. But the next time you need to buy acid, get the MA.

Richard320 said:
3FootPool said:

I used dry acid at first, a bucketful, and I never noticed anything except the pH went down. Muriatic acid is cheap and easy. So if you already have the dry acid, use it. But the next time you need to buy acid, get the MA.

Ditto. I went through 11lbs of Dry Acid before finding the MA at the Home Depot.

3FootPool said:
dmanb2b said:

OK...hmm. How are you testing PH? Immediately after adding that much acid, your PH reading should have dropped to a more reasonable level. Do you have the pump running until the dry acid is disolved? Can you post a full set of test results?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.