Hamilton, Oh
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Ok, had meeting with PB today and we have finalized the plans/drawings. ave to re-submit to Engineers office for final permit approval(since they have already been out and viewed area, this should be no issue). With that said, once the PB breaks ground, here is what I plan. Wanted to send this out and see what others have in regards to advice. Any is welcome, some may be used, all is appreciated. Here is goes.

1. Join TFP - Of Course this is first.
2. Order TF-100 test kit.
2a. Order Speed Stir
2b. Order Salt test strips Aqua Chek or K-1766 Taylor Salt Test Kit - Which is better??
3. Order SWG - not letting pool builder do this since price difference is about 500-700 dollars more depending on which one I go with(I can purchase and install). Still researching. Plan to use the pucks until CYA gets to level and I understand the BBB method more. Reading again, hope it makes more sense once I actually get to do the steps.
4. Receive TF-100 kit and start testing - Learning curve - Post on TFP
5. Start using first B - bleach-chlorine(Stop puck usage if CYA in check)
6. Read more on second B - Borates
7. Read more on Baking Soda.
Enjoy swimming.

This is the short list and I am sure will be added to but it is where I plan to start at this point.

Ok, This newb has started the process and hope I can make a nice backyard oasis for my wife and 10 yo daughter(and I am sure her friends).

Bring on the comments and suggestions so that I can learn more then what I have already learned from this site.

Thanks

Jon

Looks like a plan.

Using 6 and 7 may not be needed (many members do not use them). BBB is more about understanding your pool and only adding what you need to ... not about using certain things.

Reading Pool School a few times should clear a lot of this up for you, but certainly ask questions as they come up.

Doing #1 before #2 will get you a discount on #2.

Thanks for the response. I had 1 and 2 in that order for the discount. Any suggestions on the salt test (Strips or solution). Not sure which would be better/easier.

I was looking at at the borates since reading about SWG and some hint that it was appearing to help with the life span of the SWG.

Also, I have read about SWG and am still undecided on what is best to go with. I have looked at so many, my brain is water logged.

I was looking at the Circupool RJ60 due to the pro-rated warranty, Chlorine Output and the cell replacement cost. Used the Discount Salt Pool Comparison chart. Other options were the Hayward or the Pentair. PB will put in Pentair for 1500.00 but that seemed high for what I can get online.

Thanks

From the test kit comparison chart in Pool School: "Salt strips are accurate and easier to use than the drop based kit"

I have had the stand-alone Hayward SWG and likely to get one again (the automation version) at my current house.

From what I have read, the prices vary a lot based on the bells and whistles ... many of which are not very important. There are now generic cells for most of the SWG, but not sure how the quality compares.

being new to owning a pool, not interested in bell and whistles at this point. we just came back from vacation in florida and the pool had a.swg installed. We all liked the pool feel on the swg. my daughter thoughr something was wrong becasue there was not chlorine smell. after several swims, i was sold

I will take a look at the hayward also. Do you have a preference to Hayward over pentair, or others?

SWG pools are very nice (I have one...he, he), but even SWG pools can have a horrible nasty chlorine smell. You are off to a great start though. Daily testing, low CC and salt content in the water tend to result in softer feeling water, but even a manually dosed chlorine pool should not smell of chlorine...if it does, there are likely nasties in the water :eek:wl:

True, on adding salt for the feel, I think I am more interested in not hauling bleach on a regular basis. This may be a stupid statement since I have not done any hauling of anything but as stated, this is the starting point. I had back surgery in 2008 and tend to look for easier ways to manage life to avoid hauling, lifting, etc. Not that I want to be lazy but never sure if the next lifted item is another ruptured disk and another surgery.

I will probably do the pucks, then chlorine and then move to the SWG as I learn the in/outs of each. Do the puck while I learn the testing, then move to chlorine when CYA reaches good level, or sooner. Hopefully by then I will have researched and decided on a SWG to go with. Since the pool is going in late in season, this year will be the learning curve. Next year, start improving as needed.

I am just so glad that I found this site before having the pool for a year. It has opend my eyes so much. Funny that I was talking to a guys at work who has a pool and just told me today he is starting to see algae/cloudiness. I told him to read TFP and he said that he had already read forums and that is was just due to the heat. Felt good to know that he is heading down the wrong path and not willing to learn. He has been using pucks since he bought the house(3 years or so). Guess he will earn the hard(expensive) way but I will keep working on him. May print our the Pool School info and give to him, then I have done all I can.

Jon

dmanb2b, I see you have solar panels? Any knowledge you can share on them? Do you like, what brand, DIY install, cost?? I am looking at HotSun Solar system quoted at 4200.00 DIY install. I like the ideal of inital cost and then no monthly cost.

Does it help extend the swim season in NY. I am in South West Ohio so not too much difference in swim season-guessing yours is a little shorter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You quote seems a little high for DIY. At my previous house I had them installed with a SWG for about $6000 ... so maybe it is reasonable

At my current house, I bought my Heliocol panels used on criagslist. Parts are a little hard to come by for DIY, but are available. I am at about $1000 for the 550 sqft of panels and hardware and just have to add the plumbing still.

I like the Helicool design and hardware a little better than some other panels. Some use like radiator hose to connect the panels and I think it has to be replaced every few years ... cheap enough method, but I would not want to have to be changing the connectors. Also the Heliocol tubes are all individual, so they do not catch the wind as much so less likely to fly away.

JabbaJon said:
Funny that I was talking to a guys at work who has a pool and just told me today he is starting to see algae/cloudiness. I told him to read TFP and he said that he had already read forums and that is was just due to the heat. Felt good to know that he is heading down the wrong path and not willing to learn. He has been using pucks since he bought the house(3 years or so). Guess he will earn the hard(expensive) way but I will keep working on him. May print our the Pool School info and give to him, then I have done all I can.

Jon
I've done that more than once...some folks have initiative and time and some just don't. It's how pool stores stay in business. :lol:

I ABSOLUTELY love my solar panels. I have probably one of the cheapest set-ups there are. My two panels sit hidden behind my above ground pool on the ground and extend my swim season by about 3-4 weeks in the spring and fall...so 1.5-2months total, when combined with using a solar cover at night. My pool water is consistently 5-10 deg warmer than my neighbors pool. One august, we went away for a week and forgot to turn the panels off with the solar cover on...pool water hit 97deg :shock: I felt like I jumped in a bowl of soup :hammer:

Total cost for me was about $500-$600 and I run 2 4x20 Fafco Solar Bear panels, but they are designed for use w/AGPs. That said...JohnT, one of the moderators here, has a really sweet panel set-up for his AGP and may be able to shed some light on brand, cost, etc.

As I sit and think about solar heating panels and my deck that is 16' by 32', it would be nice to have deck planks that you could circulate water through for the heating. This would not take up any additional space and could even cool the deck surface since you are pulling the heat from the deck into the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.