Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: How long does it take Borax to dissolve

How long does it take Borax to dissolve

I just dumped 7600 gallons of my water because my CYA and CH were out of control
    water delivery is in the morning.

Here is my question. before we decided to dump the water my ph was hanging right around 6.8 water was almost clear.. Other numbers were posted on another thread. I basically just wanted to know if this is normal
    I put borax in a five gallon bucket of water and stirred. then waited and stired somemore.. dump part of it in the pool but noticed it was not disolved (this was like 40 mins later) then I added more water to the bucket and stirred and waited about 40 more mins.. Borax was not completly disolved..
    When I poured it in the pool the whole pool turned Milk colored. that was 2 days ago and it is still white.
    I am not putting anything else in it until the water comes tommorow but
    Is that normal for borax to completly cloud the water.. I had the filter running for over 48 hours and it made No difference.

I just was wondering because I am anticipating that I will have to put more borax in tomorrow night after the water delivery. (hopefully not)
    14500k inground, vinyl, built in 2007
    Hayward Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, AquaCal electric heat pump
    Taylor K 2006

Re: How long does it take Borax to dissolve

Perhaps it's the high CH that remains in the water. No it is not normal for borax to cloud up a pool. Upon my pool install, I added over 5+ boxes to raise my borate level and it was disolved within the hour.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

No that should not happen. When I added borax there was no clouding. There was borax piled on the bottom of the pool undissolved but that dissolved in a couple of hours.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro Pro500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel
    TF-100 Test Kit

Thank you. That is good to know. Obviously there are several other problems going on. I was just concerned because after spending hundreds and hundreds of $$ this season beacuse
    "pool store" recommended the stuff I have had a slightly cloudy pool all summer.
    I am trying to assure the family that this time (switching to bbb) we will have a clean pool. They are frustrated with it to.
    Thanks again
    Taylor K 2006

No cloud to mine, added and brushed around until dissolved.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

I have added borax to my pool about 90 days ago added it right in front of the return no mixing it in a bucket I just poured it right in 6 boxes of it and there was no cloudiness at all and my pool is CRYSTAL CLEAR .....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

Ok.. I bought the box that said BORAX. It was white and said 20 team mule... thats the right stuff right ? box was 76 oz I think
    Taylor K 2006

Yes that is the right stuff. I just pour it directly into the pool as I walk around the perimeter. Brush and it dissolves quickly. No need to dissolve in water beforehand. If you can post your test numbers we can help get it clear.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), with a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Txmat
    Yes that is the right stuff. I just pour it directly into the pool as I walk around the perimeter. Brush and it dissolves quickly. No need to dissolve in water beforehand. If you can post your test numbers we can help get it clear.
    Yep. I posted them on another thread.. hhmmm thinking maybe I should just leave all my questions on one thread.. New questions just seem to be popping into my head. BTW I am in the shock process now since I got my water refilled today..
    You all are great
    Thanks
    Taylor K 2006