Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates

I have read about borates and it sounds like a great idea. I have a salt pool (fiberglass) and chlorine spa (fiberglass) that are not connected, but share the same filtration system (jandy 4 cartridge ). Will it still work with borates, since I know I will end up with some in the spa as well

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates

It fine to have borates in both. I have borates in my tub and pool (not connected).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfiberglass
    I have read about borates and it sounds like a great idea. I have a salt pool (fiberglass) and chlorine spa (fiberglass) that are not connected, but share the same filtration system (jandy 4 cartridge ). Will it still work with borates, since I know I will end up with some in the spa as well
    I don't understand how they can "not be connected" but "share the same filtration system". I assume they must mingle water in the filter itself. I can't fathom how you'd exclude the water from mixing over time.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you are right. Any water in the filter when the valves are changed would be from the other body of water. Maybe it is not enough to matter?

Interesting setup to say the least.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The water does mix. Thanks for the responses.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think it should be pointed out that a "salt" pool is a chlorine pool. I assume the distinction made in the original post is that the SWGC is not in line with the plumbing for the spa and as such the spa requires chlorine to be added separately but I'm guessing. Maybe the original poster can clarify with pictures and more details...

The original question seems to be - is it OK to have borates in both spa and pool - and I think the answer from here would be YES. The question is going to be how to regulate it so that the borates ppm is in the optimum range if they share water occasionally. I'm going to assume that one way is to setup both water systems with the desired 30-50ppm and then not worry anymore since any mixing would not really change much.

Anyone with more chops on this topic think I'm nuts? I'm just blue skying here...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Once you decide to add Borate, do you have to do much to maintain them? (ie: add more Borax each day/week)? In 2 months all I've had to is add a little bleach, and a little MA each day, backwash about 3 times, and shock once. Not much trouble... just don't want to add more work/cost if I don't need to.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tcat
    Once you decide to add Borate, do you have to do much to maintain them? (ie: add more Borax each day/week)? In 2 months all I've had to is add a little bleach, and a little MA each day, backwash about 3 times, and shock once. Not much trouble... just don't want to add more work/cost if I don't need to.
    Once Borates are in the pool the only way to lower it is drain(or splashout)/refill. I adjust up to 50 ppm at the beginning of the season and don't look at it until the next season (unless a lot of water is lost).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

I added borates to my pool back in may and test them once a month and still at 50ppm and the water is sooooo soft....lol....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all