Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer Correction for Alkalinity Tests?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer Correction for Alkalinity Tests?

I am a first-time pool owner and am maintaining it myself - haven't taken the leap to BBB yet but am considering for next season. A couple times a month, I take water to my pool builder's retail store to compare results to my TFT-100 kit. Pool is ~15,000 gallons quartz plaster and I am using ProTeam 3" tabs, ProTeam Supreme Plus (borate kept at 50 ppm) and ProTeam Shock as needed (plus muriatic acid and baking soda when needed). My tests are usually pretty close to pool store's except alkalinity. For example, I tested my levels on Sunday and within an hour, without swimming, I took a sample to store. My alkalinity measured 110ppm using TFT-100 and theirs, which denotes "w/stabilizer correction" measured 72ppm. Do you know what they mean by stabilizer correction and is there a formula (or even a need) to do this? My pH seems pretty consistently on the high end (has gotten up to 8.0 but I brought it down with muriatic acid).

Any advice appreciated. I will call pool store tomorrow but thought I would check with y'all first.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer Correction for Alkalinity Tests?

Well after searching google and this site and adjusting my search yerms, I found references to this page: ... ontentID=5. Pretty much sums it up.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mint Hill, NC

I wonder if this belongs in "The Deep End"?

In any case now I am curious to know if takes this into account or if we need to do this calculation...

Nice find!
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

There is never any point in calculating adjusted/correct TA. Here at TFP we always use the TA level straight from the test kit, and never use the "stabilizer correction". The "corrected" number is only useful when calculating LSI. To begin with, hardly anyone needs to know their LSI, and even if you do, CSI is preferred. CSI does not use/need the "corrected" number. The Pool Calculator does all of the math required to calculate CSI for you.

If you have a pool store "corrected" TA level and want to convert back to regular TA, add 1/3 of the CYA level to "corrected" TA to get regular TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, Jason. Appreciate the feedback.