Can't get TF-100 or k-2006. Alternatives?

jleal

Aug 9, 2012
Portugal
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I've been reading for a few days. I've been keeping my pool with trichlor tablets and potassium peroxymonosulfate (aka active oxygen) which works great at keeping the water crystal clear and helps reducing the amount of chlorine usage. I only use the peroxymono.. in the summer when temperatures get high.

After reading about the BBB method I'm thinking about giving it a try. Active Oxygen is very expensive and rapidly dissipates, especially at higher temperatures

I usually test for chlorine, pH and active oxygen with DPD tablets from the pool store. I also test for CYA with test strips but I really doubt the precision of the results. After 3 years of trichlor usage, CYA readings are now at 30 - 40 ppm :? I usually backwash weekly so maybe this explains the lower CYA readings.

My first goal now is to have accurate readings of all the major water parameters. Unfortunately the only FAS-DPD test kit available in my country is the FAS-DPD Lamotte commercial 7 No7022 that costs....$240!!!! (plus shipping).
I'm not really in the mood to spend so much on a test kit. There are photometers in the market costing almost the same as the lamotte kit.

So the question is: is it really really necessary to use a FAS-DPD kit? Isn't a good photometer enough?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.