replaceing intex metal frame legs with pvc is it possbile

Re: replaceing intex metal frame legs with pvc is it possbil

intexnut2013 said:
will it be able to holed up to the stress of the pool with water will it be better then the metal frame legs .

I do not think so. Plastic is hollow and the stress could crack it. Are you looking to replace a few legs or do the whole pool that way? I have some extra legs from old pool. (15'x52"pool) Not sure how much to ship but probably less expensive then getting new ones.
Let me know it you want them. I saved them to use next year in the veggie garden to hold fencing but will share.

I was thinking possibly schedule 80, but don't know enough about the strength characteristics. I would think if the manufacturer could make it out of a non-rusting material at a decent price they would, just to prevent rust issues. If somebody could develop replacement parts at a decent price they could probably make some money.

msgtdan said:
I was thinking possibly schedule 80, but don't know enough about the strength characteristics. I would think if the manufacturer could make it out of a non-rusting material at a decent price they would, just to prevent rust issues. If somebody could develop replacement parts at a decent price they could probably make some money.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The metal pipes are way cheaper than a pvc pipe thick enough to have the same strength. Intex pools production cost must almost be nothing. Walmart is selling the 15-48 metal frame pool for $239.00. I am sure that they are still making money off of it.

msgtdan said:
If the manufacturer could or would make it out of non-rusting materials, then they wouldn't sell another one 3 years down the road. Manufacturers don't produce consumer goods to last today. They produce them to last up to the failure point the engineers design into the product.

If the manufacturer could or would make it out of non-rusting materials, then they wouldn't sell another one 3 years down the road.

That's a distinct possibility, there are other factors that could affect that. Such as if somebody makes cheaper/longer lasting replacement parts, liner life is another. I'm sure they have it figured out pretty close and their profit margin per unit is not a lot, just volume makes up for it.

Labor is cheap in China, $1.00 a day and 2 fortune cookies.

Also as stated above, everything you buy today is designed and built as disposable/consumable, and I do mean EVERYTHING.

Companies have all adopted Ray Crock's business model, make it consumable, if they want another one then they have to buy it, it is also known as repeat business, and warranties are designed to last just short of the engineered life of the product.

Reactions: philipb1259
I faced the exact same challenge. As you see from this picture, the Intex frame rusted out after the 2nd year. Replaced with 2x4 legs, some properly cut 4x4s for joints, and the smallest diameter galvanized steel fence pipe I could find. The local fence supply store was kind enough to cut it to size for me. Roughly $80 in materials, plus $15 for an exact fit drill bit. If it had a strong cover, you could probably park a small car on top of this thing, and guaranteed to never rust. If the wood every does eventually rot, it's a simple business to run down to Lowes for replacement "parts". :)

Once under the weight of water, the frame locks up real tight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I faced the exact same challenge. As you see from this picture, the Intex frame rusted out after the 2nd year. Replaced with 2x4 legs, some properly cut 4x4s for joints, and the smallest diameter galvanized steel fence pipe I could find. The local fence supply store was kind enough to cut it to size for me. Roughly $80 in materials, plus $15 for an exact fit drill bit. If it had a strong cover, you could probably park a small car on top of this thing, and guaranteed to never rust. If the wood every does eventually rot, it's a simple business to run down to Lowes for replacement "parts". :)

View attachment 97118

Once under the weight of water, the frame locks up real tight.

View attachment 97119
Interested in detail on the top blocks. How far in did u drill the hole?

I did a detailed write up on my frame here:

The answer on depth is: almost to the middle... I wanted to be sure I had enough room to slide things in or out as needed, since I really just kinda eye-balled it when deciding a top bar pipe length. The hole was a really snug fit, and once you add the weight of the water, they kinda locked into place where I positioned them, so I haven't seen any slipping out or anything like that.

Lou, these actually are galvanized steel chain link fence pipes, they're just the smallest ones the supply store had. The next size up they had were too big (the standard size fence posts).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.