Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replaceing intex metal frame legs with pvc is it possbile

1. Back To Top    #1

replaceing intex metal frame legs with pvc is it possbile

will it be able to holed up to the stress of the pool with water will it be better then the metal frame legs .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: replaceing intex metal frame legs with pvc is it possbil

PVC pipes filled with Hydraulic cement

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by intexnut2013
    will it be able to holed up to the stress of the pool with water will it be better then the metal frame legs .
    I do not think so. Plastic is hollow and the stress could crack it. Are you looking to replace a few legs or do the whole pool that way? I have some extra legs from old pool. (15'x52"pool) Not sure how much to ship but probably less expensive then getting new ones.
    Let me know it you want them. I saved them to use next year in the veggie garden to hold fencing but will share.
    ProSeries Above Ground 20x4 Sand filter 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

PVC definitely won't won't, it's not meant for that type of lateral stress, trying that will be a VERY dangerous situation.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

I was thinking possibly schedule 80, but don't know enough about the strength characteristics. I would think if the manufacturer could make it out of a non-rusting material at a decent price they would, just to prevent rust issues. If somebody could develop replacement parts at a decent price they could probably make some money.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan
    I was thinking possibly schedule 80, but don't know enough about the strength characteristics. I would think if the manufacturer could make it out of a non-rusting material at a decent price they would, just to prevent rust issues. If somebody could develop replacement parts at a decent price they could probably make some money.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. The metal pipes are way cheaper than a pvc pipe thick enough to have the same strength. Intex pools production cost must almost be nothing. Walmart is selling the 15-48 metal frame pool for $239.00. I am sure that they are still making money off of it.

7. Back To Top    #7

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Quote Originally Posted by msgtdan
    If the manufacturer could or would make it out of non-rusting materials, then they wouldn't sell another one 3 years down the road. Manufacturers don't produce consumer goods to last today. They produce them to last up to the failure point the engineers design into the product.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

If the manufacturer could or would make it out of non-rusting materials, then they wouldn't sell another one 3 years down the road.
    That's a distinct possibility, there are other factors that could affect that. Such as if somebody makes cheaper/longer lasting replacement parts, liner life is another. I'm sure they have it figured out pretty close and their profit margin per unit is not a lot, just volume makes up for it.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

Labor is cheap in China, $1.00 a day and 2 fortune cookies.

Also as stated above, everything you buy today is designed and built as disposable/consumable, and I do mean EVERYTHING.

Companies have all adopted Ray Crock's business model, make it consumable, if they want another one then they have to buy it, it is also known as repeat business, and warranties are designed to last just short of the engineered life of the product.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".