New pool - cloudy water and black on the inside of fittings?

3littlecowboys

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2012
So we purchased our first pool the second week of June. I'm a little frustrated that the pool store didn't tell us that we needed to add stabilizer. Pool looked great for about 4 weeks (I did add the shock they told me to add after we filled it). Could never get the chlorine to normal level. Finally, after reading on this site, I realized that I had NO CYA. As soon as we purchased that the chlorine was up and I thought we were on the right track. We were out of town and came back to a very cloudy pool and the sides seemed kind of slimy. What I now think is that the 3 weeks or so that we'd had no chlorine due to the fact that we had no cya we were probably developing algae. (The water was always clear until we added cya and left town.). Does it sound like we are reaping the aftershock of having no chlorine for so long? I've ordered my TFT-100 and hopefully will have it before the weekend. For the past 10 days I've been adding bleach, sweeping the sides and bottom of pool- there's some brownish 'film' that dissipates easily when I brush it. Ch level is way high but I don't have my kit yet so I don't know what the number is. It tests orange when I use my 6-way test. Ph also is at about 7.5 (normal on this test kit). When I get my kit I'll post actual numbers... But I do have a question that someone may be able to answer before then...
This morning when I was brushing the sides down, I noticed that there is a little bit of black something on the edge of the return nozzle. I took the fitting off and the black stuff is all inside as well. It doesn't wipe out easily like I would think algae would. But honestly I know nothing about algae so I'm happy to be educated. My concern is that the other is mustard algae - after what I've read on here. But the black on the return fitting looks more like smoke damage for lack of a better description. Any input will be greatly appreciated. So VERY thankful to have found this site!

I think I'm adding a picture - hopefully it works.

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 83
Re: New pool - cloudy water and black on the inside of fitti

Welcome to TFP.

Once you get your kit you'll know more but that looks like metals staining to me. Have you had your water tested for metals?

No, I've not had it tested for metals. Can I do that with my kit once it gets here or do I need to take a sample somewhere?

Metal tests are not in the TF-100. Easiest is to take it to a pool store to have them test for metals (just don't buy everything they suggest ;))

You can also order metal test kits from tftestkits ... but not sure it is worth it.

I'd also suggest taking it to a pool store. There's not a constant need to test it once it's been determined.

It could be organics staining. You could take a trichlor puck and rub on it and see if it lightens. If that doesn't work, take a vitamin C tablet and rub on it. If that works it's metals.

Thank you so much guys! I'll take it to the pool store and have them test it. I took the two pieces off (in the photo) and brought them in - soaked in bleach/water - mostly bleach and then was able to get most of it off with a Magic Eraser. I know that's probably not kosher ;o) The scrubbing did very little until I used the Magic Eraser. I'm not as concerned about it if it's staining but maybe I should be? It's in the return that is directly after the salt cell generator. ??

It seems that the cloudy water is getting VERY SLOWLY better than it was a week ago. I'll keep this up until I get my kit and can post specifics. Also, I've had my swg running at 100% for the greater part of the past two weeks. Should I be doing that? Most of last week I was running it 24/7 - not always at 100%.

Okay, so I had the pool store test my water and here's what they're telling me:

FC - 4+ (They don't really know but it's high)
CC or TC - (same)
pH - 7.8
TA - 90
CH - -- (He apparently didn't test for this)
CYA - 60
Salt - 3.9 (mine says 3200) He said theirs usually registers high.
Copper - 0
Phosphates - 300

He wanted to sell me some Phos Free and muratic acid. I didn't purchase anything yet. Hopefully someone has some input on whether I should go that route. Is my ph even high enough to worry about? And I think I've read several times that the phosphate issue is not important but I may not be understanding correctly.

If I ad DE, where do I put that? In the filter? Skimmer? And where would I get it? Is it just called DE?

Also, he shows that there are no metals which brings the issue of the black on the fittings back into question... Any thoughts? He said, without seeing it, that it could be black algae.

Thanks so much for all your input!

Ignore the phosphates.
You pH is as high as you should let it get, so lowering is a good idea.
Did you read my link above? Add the DE to the skimmer. It can be found at pool stores, hardware stores, and Walmart ... make sure it is for pools ... not the food grade DE.

Okay, thanks so much Jason! Yes, I saw but wasn't sure about the details. I'll go get some and see how that works. Will the package tell me how much to add? So happy that you're here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I've added the DE and muratic acid. Is it likely that I'd need to backwash twice in two hours? The pressure has gone up to 20 and the flow is cut very drastically. (I backwashed, checked pressure -12- added DE which brought the pressure up to 13 and within an hour the pressure was up to 20). Backwashed again and added more DE and now it's back up to 19 and flow seems very slow. Should I just let it keep going? Just want to be sure I'm on the right track. I wasn't sure how much backwashing was 'a lot'.

I do not have a sand filter so never done it. Maybe try a little less DE?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The first few times you add the DE, it's not uncommon to have to backwash the filter within a very short time. After a few times the backwash interval will get a lot longer.

:party: :party: Oh my WORD! Thank you so much Jason! My pool is finally clear after two weeks of cloudy! I did exactly what you said and this morning I was so pleased to be able to see CLEARLY the bottom of the pool. So much prettier this way! Thank you for helping me along! I'm so glad I found this place - I'm sure I'll have more questions and I know exactly where to go! You guys are the BEST! :party: :party: :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.