Full Sun Pool

Hello,

I was trying to get some guidance as to what sort of levels I should be aiming for with my pool. It's a 28k vinyl pool that receives full sun from sunrise to almost 7pm at night in NY metro area. I'm finding it difficult to keep the green from coming over the course of the week. Just wondering what would be a good starting point for a pool subject to these conditions. Thanks!

It sounds like you are adding a bag of "shock" once a week and then letting the pucks do the rest. This works ok-ish for a period of time, but then the CYA levels get too high and there is not enough active free chlorine in the water to prevent algae growth.

In reality you are killing off some percentage of the algae - and then letting it grow back over the course of the week.

As mentioned - check out pool school. If you follow the advice and levels suggested there you will eliminate your troubles.

If you are going to maintain your own pool a proper test kit are a must. The most important test is the FAS-DPD chlorine test that will allow you to test FC at much higher levels.

Welcome neighbor! Read though pool school...link is in my signature and order a TF100 test kit from tf testkits.net.

The pool is turning green because you have inadequate free chlorine in your water. Your target FC level depends on what your other water chemistry is and without knowing that, it's tough for us to answer.

That said, especially read the article on how to shock your pool, because that's what you'll need to do to rid of your algae outbreak.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to wait on TF100 level test results because I don't have one yet. Once it arrives I'll be able to post something a little more on the money than strips.
Local pool store test results were pretty similar to the test strips I have, but for the fact that they reduce it to a decimal number that's slightly more accurate.

CYA 126
TC 4.7
FC 4.7
pH 7.8
Tot Alk 125
Tot Hardness 137

I'm a noob and far from an expert, but I am learning quickly from everyone here and I would like to help.

If your CYA is really 126 (and that's a big assumption until you get the test kit) then your FC number needs to be somewhere in the 10 - 16 range. Anything below 10 and your starting to flirt with the mean green. Your test will probably also show some CC which you would expect seeing as how you're saying the pool is green.
If and again I stress if your original test results do hold up, then your looking at a water drain and shock in the near future.

Did the noob get it right guys? :roll:

My pool is in full sun all day also and I've never had an algae outbreak. Like posted above if your CYA is truly 126, there is the problem. You have to maintain a really high free chlorine level and everytime you use a puck to chlorinate you are adding more cya. When you get your test kit and get a cya reading you will probably have to do at least a partial drain and refill to get the cya managable. I have found in full sun mine does well in the 40-50 range and the only thing I have to do is add about a quart or so of liquid chlorine nightly. My water always remains crystal clear and sparkiling. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.