Black algae??

lka674

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2012
Williamson County, Texas
Hello,

I believe I have 2 small spots of black algae growing in my spa...started with one spot in the corner that was fairly small, but now it's a little bigger and there is a new spot near it up on the wall.

Our spa spills into the pool and the water recycles between the pool and the spa.....we do not keep the spa heated so it stays at the same temp as the pool year round as it only takes about 10 min to heat it up when we want to use it and that's not very often to be honest. My test #'s are perfect for where I want to keep them...considering I'm running a slightly neg CSI to place a band aid on my high CH level....I'm passing OCLT's with ease....but the spots remain and won't brush off. The water in both pool and spa is crystal clear and there are zero signs of any algae in the pool itself or any of the tile or coping.

Do you think I'm right about it being black algae? And if so, does that mean I have to start the shocking process for the entire pool????? How I dread having to do that!! I just recently got everything in check for hitting my target CSI. :hammer:

Today's numbers:

FC - 8
CC - 0.5
TC - 8.5
pH - 7.4
TA - 70 (we run lots of water features frequently)
CYA - 60 (we have 100% direct sun exp all day)
CH - 550

Any advice is appreciated!

Hi...sorry! We've had some stuff going on with fam and then had to take off out of town, so I apologize for posting and then not getting back to you once you had commented!

The DH WAS able to grind it off with a pool pumice tool and he actually went down there with a mask and snorkle to get a really good look and he now swears it really looked more rust like than black once you were up close and personal.

So....no more black dots...and so far none reforming. I think you were correct about it being a stain!

Thanks so much for the comments and suggestions. I appreciate it!
Laura

The DH WAS able to grind it off with a pool pumice tool and he actually went down there with a mask and snorkle to get a really good look and he now swears it really looked more rust like than black once you were up close and personal.

If you have a small amount of metal stains (rust, iron, etc) you can crush some cheap vitamin C tablets (ascorbic acid) in a sock. Then hold the sock on the stain for a few minutes. If the stains are metal, they should fade or disappear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.