Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: "Chalky" feel on skin when in water - what causes that?

"Chalky" feel on skin when in water - what causes that?

I can only best describe the feeling like 'chalky' when I'm in the pool ... I don't smell chlorine when getting out. My FC is bouncing around 5.0-6.0 and my CYA is constant at around 60. I added 182 oz bleach after that test. Is this where the BORATES discussion comes in?

What causes that chalkiness feel? Another reason we're seriously considering jumping to a SWG system next year.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS Pool, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

Re: "Chalky" feel on skin when in water - what causes that?

What are your test results?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

FC= 5.0
    CC = 0.0
    PH=7.6 (aprox. - from Blue test)
    TA = 110
    CYA = 60 (still - never changes, but I also have not dumped 1/3 of the water)
    CH = 280 (down from 300)
    Temp = 90

Thanks
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS Pool, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

Well, I'm stumped.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

what might you had suspecting ?? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cody21
    what might you had suspecting ?? thanks
    I was expecting pH to be way high. And TA, too. Which would leach skin oil out of your skim making it feel dry. Like you'd get on your hands after washing the car or cleaning a sink with ajax.

Did you ever find a solution or answer to this? I have a similar feel, its almost a rough feel even when in the water.