Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need to lower my TA

1. Back To Top    #1

need to lower my TA

I've got some minor issues with algae, took some samples to 3 different pool stores, the first one I'm throwing out cause they say my CYA is 65 The other 2 are pretty close, they are...

Second store
    FC 4.3
    pH 8.4
    CH 339
    TA 215
    CYA 20

third store
    FC 4.2
    pH 8.2
    CH 340
    TA 200
    CYA 20

The pool store is saying to add an entire gallon of muriatic acid to lower the TA. I'm really questioning this. I know I need to get it down and my pH down. The pool Calculator says to add 86 oz of Borax. Looking for some suggestions and conformation.
    --
    Keith

Intex 15' x 48" AGP (5300 gallons)
    Intex 2,100-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Central Mo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need to lower my TA

If the pool calc is suggesting borax you either put the 'now' in wrong or the 'target' in wrong. Maybe you swapped the target and now values.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The muriatic acid will lower the pH and also has the effect of lowering the TA, though the pH should be your primary concern. Try to maintain between 7.2 and 7.8. With a TA of 200, it will tend to drift up every couple days so test and redose as needed.

Use the pool calculator before you just dump a gallon in. You can calculate how much of the muriatic acid to add. When you have that amount, don't add it all at once. Add about 2/3 of the amount and retest the pH after it circulates so you don't take the pH too low. With muriatic acid it's ok to "guesstimate" the amount. It is pretty dangerous stuff to be measuring out so figure out if you need half a gallon or 2/3s and then pour it in front of the return. Retest, repeat
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

4. Back To Top    #4

Also note, that a pH of 8.2 is usually the top of the test, so it could be even higher. That may result in you having to use more MA than the pool calculator initially recommends ... might take a couple iterations.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, that's what my problem was, had the pH numbers reversed. From what I understand, if I get the TA in normal range, my pH won't swing so much?

It's odd with the pH cause when I test it with my drops, I see it being 7.6
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

6. Back To Top    #6

What drops? What test kit do you have?

We generally trust your test way more than pool store testing. How did the pool store do the tests? If they used a strip, I would complete disregard the results.

Best option is to invest in one of the test kits we recommend and then trust yourself.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Please do not add a full gallon of MA. You need to start with around 30 ounces, let circulate for 30 minutes, and retest.

I plugged in 3400 gallons, TA of 200, and pH to go from 8.2 to 7.2. I got 30 ounces of MA.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

8. Back To Top    #8

HTH 3 way tester

I know, I need to find the extra funds and buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    What drops? What test kit do you have?

We generally trust your test way more than pool store testing. How did the pool store do the tests? If they used a strip, I would complete disregard the results.

Best option is to invest in one of the test kits we recommend and then trust yourself.
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

9. Back To Top    #9

Your pH test may still be better than the pool store if they used strips.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

TA of 200 and pH 8.4 to 7.4 is 23oz MA

Quote Originally Posted by aa62579
    Please do not add a full gallon of MA. You need to start with around 30 ounces, let circulate for 30 minutes, and retest.

I plugged in 3400 gallons, TA of 200, and pH to go from 8.2 to 7.2. I got 30 ounces of MA.
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

11. Back To Top    #11

One did, the other 2 used a tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Your pH test may still be better than the pool store if they used strips.
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

12. Back To Top    #12

I think I would trust the drop test over the tablets as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by keithk
    TA of 200 and pH 8.4 to 7.4 is 23oz MA

Quote Originally Posted by aa62579

Most tests can't accurately measure over 8.2, so that is why I used it. Whether you want to add 23 or 30 ounces, as you can see by both of these numbers, 128 oz would certainly be too much. I would guess that much would take you into the low 6s. Low pH is much worse than a somewhat high TA.

Add acid each time your pH gets to 7.8 and your TA will come down.
    ~~ Allison ~~

14. Back To Top    #14

Upon reading more, if you are confident in your 7.6 result, I would only add 20 ounces.
    ~~ Allison ~~

15. Back To Top    #15

I'll check it in the AM and probably take another sample in. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    --
    Keith

Central Mo

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by keithk
    I've got some minor issues with algae, took some samples to 3 different pool stores, the first one I'm throwing out cause they say my CYA is 65 The other 2 are pretty close, they are...

Second store
    FC 4.3
    pH 8.4
    CH 339
    TA 215
    CYA 20

third store
    FC 4.2
    pH 8.2
    CH 340
    TA 200
    CYA 20

The pool store is saying to add an entire gallon of muriatic acid to lower the TA. I'm really questioning this. I know I need to get it down and my pH down. The pool Calculator says to add 86 oz of Borax. Looking for some suggestions and conformation.
    TA has no effect on algae.

Are you trying to have perfect test numbers, or a clean, sparkling, sanitary pool?

Instead of driving from store to store getting inconsistent tests and exposing yourself to the salesmen's charms (cha-ching!), why not just buy your own proper test kit, confirm CYA and drain as needed, then adjust pH, then perform the shock process? The shock process will resolve the algae problem.

TA can be adjusted at your leisure, when you're bored because the pool is so clear and troublefree.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!