tri-chloro-s-triazinetrione

Jun 20, 2012
What is practical difference between Cal-Hypo and tri-chloro-s-triazinetrione? I live in a small town and tri-chloro-s-triazinetrione is more available than Cal-Hypo, in 3" tabs as well as "shock." Note: it says do not mix with Cal-Hypo, how long after applying Cal-Hypo could you use tri-chlor? Could u use tri-chlor 3" tabs in the skimmer after using Cal-Hypo to shock?

I can not answer your question. However.. I am going to say NO to trichlor tablets.. We have a in ground pool that is 5 years old and I have been using trichlor tabs since it was installed. for the last 2 years I have been having TERRIBLE problems trying to keep the chlorine and ph levels right
My CYA is now up to 160 because of the trichlor tabs so this weekend we have to dump at least 1/2 our water and replace it with new..

I am NO expert by any means but after reading and reading and asking a ton of questions and advice on this board I blame all the problems I am having on the CYA. It is just way to high and I cant seem to get enough bleach in the water to keep up..
Also my liner is really bleached out.
The thing that makes me more mad is that the pool stores have said my CYA is only 35.. WHAT... 35 and 160 HUGE difference...

I will NEVER use those evil things again... unless I was willing to replace my water every year.. With the cost of only having 1/2 replaced it is not resonable to think I can put new water in the pool every year.

If you decide to use them. I sure Hope you have better luck than I did with them.

Oh.. One more thing.. my Calcium is very high to because of using Calcium shock and filling with well water..

Cal-hypo adds calcium with your chlorine
Tri-chlor (and di-chlor) add cyanuric acid (stabilizer, CYA) with your chlorine.

Both calcium and CYA can cause problems if the levels get too high. So, neither of them is a good long term solution for adding chlorine .... UNLESS ....
You are in a climate that requires a lot of water change to winterize or completely drain each year, as that will lower the CH and CYA levels.

Also, it is never a good idea to put the tablets into the skimmer , especially if you do not run the pump 24/7. Very acidic and harsh on the equipment.

See: How to Chlorinate Your Pool and other articles in Pool School for more info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.