Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will FC levels of 6-8 fade liner? Pool store experience...

1. Back To Top    #1

Will FC levels of 6-8 fade liner? Pool store experience...

My CYA is at 50 so i try to keep FC around 6-8. I was talking to the pool store guy and he said the only problem i might have with that is possible fading my liner quicker. What are your thoughts.

I also thought it was interesting when i told him my CYA was high at 50. He said that wasn't high at all and that he wouldn't be concerned until it got to 200?? He has become somewhat of a frriend since he built the pool. I really don't think he is just trying to sell me more chemicals. I think he believes what he tells me. he said i was the first person he has heard of who could maintain my pool using just bleach and muriatic acid. I thought this was interesting. my pool has been crystal clear since i started BBB.
    Jeremiah Hough

22,000 gallon, vinyl liner, chlorine, with auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will FC levels of 6-8 fade liner? Pool store experience

Quote Originally Posted by miahhough
    My CYA is at 50 so i try to keep FC around 6-8. I was talking to the pool store guy and he said the only problem i might have with that is possible fading my liner quicker. What are your thoughts.
    It will not fade the liner ... he clearly does not understand the CYA/FC relationship (not an uncommon problem) ... or that the active chlorine level in stabilized water is MUCH less than if no stabilizer was present.

With a CYA of 50ppm, your FC would have to likely be over 30ppm to risk fading the liner due to the chlorine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Invite your friend to TFP where he may learn several things the Pool Industry does not do a good job with.

FC of 6-8ppm and CYA of 50 will have no affect on your liner.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

For 12 years I have maintained a CYA of 75-80 and a FC of 6-8. My liner looks great. I have only slight fading on a section of border that is in full sun.
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

5. Back To Top    #5

My CYA is 160 and I have to use so much chlorine my liner is now faded (pool 5 years old) and I am dumping 1/2 my water this weekend to get it back down to a level I can maintain.
    I absolutley thought my pool store people were great to.. Until I learned the real way to take care of a pool from this board.
    14500k inground, vinyl, built in 2007
    Hayward Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, AquaCal electric heat pump
    Taylor K 2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Relying to old post, Mine, a new liner as of install last year, 2012, it was a dark blue design, has done a bit of even fading allover within the water level keeping CYA 40 - 50, and Chlorine levels between 6 and 8, Ph 7.6 - 7.8. I get sun in the early day until about 2:00 pm before shade hits it during the summer months about 8 hours of direct sunlight in summer, 5 hours in winter. I do not close my pool during winter because of where I live, and kept a Chlorine level of about 5 because during the winter it would burn off about 2 a day. I make sure to broadcast the bleach evenly over the return jet. I only had to severely shock one time to clear it last summer at about 22 for two days. So I guess along with bleach and sun it faded the liner.
    21 X 52 Sharkline Venture, 10,400 Gallons,
    Hayward Pro Series 18 Sand Filter, BBB Method, Leslies DPD Complete Chlorine Kit, Taylor K-1515-A - Drop Test, FAS-DPD Chlorine

7. Back To Top    #7

The sun will fade it a lot more than the bleach will. I have a distinctive unfaded pattern right where the steps sit. Since the FC is the same everywhere in the pool it has to be fading from the sun.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm currently lowering the CYA level of a new client. Pool is 2 years old. I tested CYA at over 100. Explained relationship. Drained almost half water out and refilled, recirculated 24 hours. Retested CYA next day, using 1:1 dilution method. Result still over 100, meaning his CYA was somewhere around 400. Will be repeating this process. He had a biofilm on much of the liner.

I've maintained TFP recommended chlorine levels in my pool for 7 years. Any fading of the liner is due to the prior 6 years of pool store chemical procedures like walking around the pool pouring a bucket of 'dissolved' dichlor powder or 'broadcasting' and it settles around the perimeter bleaching out the liner.

On the section of pool that gets the most sun the worst fading is at the top (above the water line.)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The sun will fade it a lot more than the bleach will. I have a distinctive unfaded pattern right where the steps sit. Since the FC is the same everywhere in the pool it has to be fading from the sun.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

10. Back To Top    #10

Keep in mind that all liners fade eventually regardless of chemical levels.

Very low PH can also lead to accelerated fading.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I will agree with that because under my ladder step it is not nearly as faded as the rest of the pool below the waterline that gets direct sunlight, I think its just the combination of sun and bleach that helps hasten the fading with the sun really working against it. During the summer sunlight and heat of 98 degrees with indexes over 110, somethings gotta give. Of course as we all know direct sunlight on any object will bleach it out and suck moisture out of anything even UV protected items. I have a deck box by rubbermaid that is supposed to be UV protected but you can tell its getting some oxidation on it, just a matter of time before it turns brittle.
    21 X 52 Sharkline Venture, 10,400 Gallons,
    Hayward Pro Series 18 Sand Filter, BBB Method, Leslies DPD Complete Chlorine Kit, Taylor K-1515-A - Drop Test, FAS-DPD Chlorine