Green tinted water

May 24, 2012
New pool owner here, could use some help.

My pool was getting a little cloudy last week so I shocked it with liquid chlorine (2 Gal of 10%). It looked great until yesterday evening when I noticed the water had a green tint and my skimmer sock had green residue on it. The water is clear (I can see the bottom easily), and there is no noticeable algae or slime on the sides/bottom. When I broom the sides and bottom all I get is some brown dust that vacuums right off (it's AZ, everything has brown dust on it!).

Here's what I've got:
15000 gal pebble tec
Hayward Pro Series sand filter model S244S
1.5hp single speed pump running 12hrs/day

Test results last night:
FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 140
CYA 80
CH 400
Temp 90*

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Good choice on the test kit :goodjob:

First, what you did was not "shocking" the pool. The 2 gallons you added was enough to raise your FC by 13ppm. With a CYA of 80ppm, the shock value is 31ppm ... see Chlorine CYA Chart. When do you plan to stop using dichlor and trichlor, as your CYA is already too high?

You really have 2 choices at this point:
1. Replace almost 50% of your water to lower CYA to recommended range, and then go through the Shocking Your Pool process using only liquid chlorine.
2. Leave your CYA high and start the shock process using only liquid chlorine.

At a minimum, you should do the OCLT to see if anything is trying to grow in the water causing the cloudiness and green.

EDIT: Also realize that the MINIMUM FC level for your 80ppm CYA is 6ppm ... has it been allowed to drop below that, since you are very close in what your provided?

I will do the OCLT tonight, and I was planning to switch to liquid chlorine/bleach this week actually...

I don't think FC has been below 6 in the last two weeks. Definitely not in the last week.

The guy at the pool store thought that the filter might be too small for my size pool. Any thoughts on that?

A smaller filter just would require more frequent backwashing ... not a worse job cleaning if you pump is not terrible oversized.

Our "official" recommendation for a 15k gallon pool would be a 2.8 sqft sand filter minimum. The one you have is 3.14 sqft ... so you should be fine.

If you want to improve the filtering, you can try a little DE added to the sand through the skimmer. Another option would be reducing your pump motor size (unless there is some high flow need not listed in your post), which would lower your costs to run it and slow the water through the filter.

I plan to replace the pump next year... The pool has in-floor cleaning, heater, and spa. Don't know if those warrant the big motor or not.

Should I do the OCLT tonight, or just go ahead and shock it?

Ah, those likely need the larger pump.

Leave pump on all night. Raise the pool to shock level FC after dark. Measure FC. In the morning measure FC again before the sun comes up. If you lost > 1ppm FC, continue the shock process. If you lost < 1ppm and the water is clearing, you can likely let the FC drift back down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the water still has a green tint to it, try as was suggested above by jblizzle. Add 2 handfulls of DE or Fibre Clear to the skimmer with the pump on and running. The green tint water problem does occasionally happen with sand filters that do not remove all particulate matter from the pool water. If the green tint happens to be oxidixed iron (but I doubt that is the problem), then this will also help remove the iron from the water and clear up the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.