Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: It's been a month, turning on SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Charleston, South Carolina

It's been a month, turning on SWG?

Our plaster was installed 4 weeks ago, so now I'm ready to fire up the Intellichlor (IC40). I've been doing the bleach thing for the past month with no problems...thanks to the info from this forum . I guess I need to buy some salt test strips or take a sample to Leslies? Until I test it......let's assume there's somewhere around 250ppm of salt currently in the water, in that case Pentair says I need to add between 400 and 500 pounds of salt to reach 3400ppm. Should this be done all at the same time? Or should I throw in half of it today and half of it tomorrow, run the pump for 24 hours and turn on the intellichlor?
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: It's been a month, turning on SWG?

I'd have it tested to know what salt level you're already at. Once you know, use the pool calc to figure out how much more you need to add. Just dump it in all at once and then brush it around a bit and you'll be surprised how fast it dissolves. Wait at least 24 hours to turn on the swg after it's dissloved.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

After you add the salt and are waiting the 24 hours to turn on swg can you swim?
    16x40 16k gallon Gunite & Plaster with 10X16 sun deck/beach and Waterfall, 1 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Cover-Pools auto cover, Heliocol Solar heater, Pentair Easy Touch system with IntelliChlor Electronic Chlorine Generator, Pentair IntelliBright 5g LED light

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by BoyWonder
    After you add the salt and are waiting the 24 hours to turn on swg can you swim?
    Yes you can, that'll just speed up the dissolving
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!