Cloudy water...Some help please.

Jul 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

Yesterday we noticed our pool water had become a bit cloudy, but it was certainly not green. Could this be the start of an algae outbreak? We recently had a week long pool party that probably introductory a lot of sweat, sun block, dirt, etc...so maybe that's related?

After testing the water, it turns out there was nearly no FC present, so shocked the pool to about 6.6 over the course of half a day.

Here are my current numbers:
FC = 6.6
PH = 7.8
TA = 120
CYA = 55

I think the numbers look pretty good...right?
This morning the pool seemed more clear, but it was still a bit hazy.

DO I need to shock the pool to get the FC up to 20 (Based on the CYA chart)...or can I just maintain the current levels and see if the cloudiness goes away after a few days?
I assume the kids can still swim in it, correct?

Thanks again for all your help.

What test kit are you using?

The safest thing to do would be to start the shock process to start killing anything that might be starting to grow.

At a minimum, you should elevate to shock level (22ppm based on your CYA of 55ppm) and perform the OCLT to see if anything is in the water consuming the FC.

It is always a good idea to boost the FC before and/or after a party .... especially a week long one :party:

It could be that your filter just needs to catch up now but that FC was nearly 0 says that algae may have begun. Best to bring to shock level, test overnight for chlorine consumption which will prove if organics remain in the pool. If so, you must do a full shock process. No kids in the pool while that goes on, they are organic after all and will consume the very chlorine you are adding. High FC can irritate delicate parts, nose, lips, privates.

Thnaks for your help!
I'll do the OCLT test tonight...and if there's a 1 point drop in the morning I'll shock to 22ppm.
After I shock that high, how long does it take for the FC levels to go down to the desired (swim-able) level? A couple days, or longer?
Thanks!

Raise to shock level tonight for the OCLT.

Review the Shocking Your Pool process ... it is not a 1 time addition ... you must maintain the shock level of FC until you pass the 3 tests.

It is safe to swim when the FC is > the minimum, and < the shock value for your CYA. And you can see the bottom of the pool, and your CC are not more than 0.5ppm, and your pH is in range.

Thanks again...Can you clarify what you mean by "Raise to shock level tonight for the OCLT." Does does that mean I should raise it to 22 before I go to bed and then re-test first thing in the morning? If it goes down by more than 1ppm, then I need to continue shocking. But it if doesn't and the CC is within range then I don't need to shock any more...Is that correct?

Thanks for your patience while I figure this stuff out...this is our first pool and the first time I'm shocking it.

Basically yes.

Leave the pump on all night. Use the calculator to determine how much chlorine to add to reach 22ppm. Test the FC at least an hour after adding the dose (and after the sun is down). Re-test the FC in the morning before the sun comes up.

If it dropped more the 1ppm or your CC are high, continue the shock process by raising it back up to around 22ppm (does not have to be exact, but want to keep it close to this at all times).

As you see in the Shock Process article, one of the 3 tests to stop the process is that the water is clear ... this ensures that everything is dead and filtered out. But, if you pass the CC and OCLT tests, everything should be dead and your filter just needs time to remove everything. This last step can take a long time and maintaining the shock FC level "might" not be strictly needed the entire time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.