Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover has some algae on it, ok to put on pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover has some algae on it, ok to put on pool?

With temps in the 60s at night I need to start using my solar cover. It has small spots of viable green algae. Is it OK to put on the pool? If not can I just spray it down or do I need to hit it up with a bleach/water mix?

CYA=45, FC is maintained between 6 and 8, CC=0
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover has some algae on it, ok to put on pool?

I think you're asking for trouble. Get what you can off before you put it in. Then I'd run FC up to shock level before I put the cover on, and then I'd make sure every inch of the cover got wet.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I think you're asking for trouble. Get what you can off before you put it in. Then I'd run FC up to shock level before I put the cover on, and then I'd make sure every inch of the cover got wet.
    That's sorta what I was thinking. Thanks.

Are there any tips on keeping algae off or am I going to deal with this no matter what. Algae on the cover when stored or rolled that is.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I haven't noticed any on my cover. I keep it rolled up and wrapped in a tarp (hanging from the fence - similar to how the saddles work, except I used rope and bungee cords). Maybe I'm just lucky.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]