algae getting through filter?

Jul 26, 2007
Scenario:
pool infested with a yellow algae and while vacuuming, algae seems to be going through filter (STA-RITE S7M-120) and returning cloudy water through eyeballs. Have had chlorine level sky high & cleaned filter cartridges every day for a week and same thing happens.
So when i'm done vacuuming pool, it's so cloudy I can hardly see bottom. And when pump is off, algae slowly settles back on bottom and walls as water clears.
Question:
are the algae particles too small to get trapped in filter? Could it be time to get new cartridges (6 yrs old)?

I have never used cartridges ... so keep that in mind ;)

Have you inspected them for rips or holes?
Have you inspected the seals (where the cartridge connects to the filter housing)? ... I seem to recall something about some o-rings maybe

Well, at least I have bumped this so more people may respond. :)

The algae particles aren't too small to be caught "IF" there's not something wrong with the filter.

If the cartridges are 6 years old it may be time for new ones. I'd pull it apart and inspect for tears, etc. before buying new ones though.

thank you for replies

Okay....so I went to a local leslie's pool store and told the man green/yellow algae, 30K gals, and he gave me a ½ gal bottle of “algae control” and said use ¾ bottle....after 1 hour 3-4 lbs shock...and then brush....and so that's what I did.

And this morning.........SHAZAYAM!.............pool is blue again with about 90% of algae trapped in filter cartridges which I hosed out.

Does this mean that algaecide/shock has to used in order to trap algae in cartridges?

If your pool is running at good chlorine levels, you should never need algaecide or even to shock.

If you have algae, you should only need to increase your chlorine levels... see pool school & the calculator.... to kill the algae and filter it out.

I don't have a cartridge filter for my pool, but do for our hot tub. We tend to change it yearly or every other year depending on how much we've used the tub during the season. We use the hot tub in the winter and the pool in the summer... hot tub sometimes gets very little use/filled time. I don't believe cartridges are meant to last a real long time.. but I've not used one on a pool for more than the one season we had a small Intex.

Rita G.

I am reading between the lines a bit but filters do not get rid of algae in pools.....chlorine does.

Once the algae is killed by chlorine, the filter will clear up the water but a filter will never clear a pool that has live algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.