Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How Does My Timer Work?

How Does My Timer Work?

I have a Timex timer on my pool that came with the house. It is old school, meaning that it has the rotating dial with push down tabs, like that of some Christmas tree timers I've seen. I can't find a model number on it anywhere, and can't find a users manual for it.

I'm assuming that pushing down on the tabs for the times that you want the pump off is the proper configuration, but how exactly do I set the timer for the local time? The inner dial spins but when I move it to the correct time, it just stays there and never moves.

Anyone have the same model that can tell me how to work this thing? Right now, I just shut the pump off during the day while I'm at work and turn it on when I get home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

Re: How Does My Timer Work?

My timer (different brand) has a dial that you pull out towards you to allow the time to be set. Maybe you have to pull or push the dial on yours after setting the time.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

If the dial isn't moving, and there's power to it, then most likely the clock motor is shot.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointyhead
    I'm assuming that pushing down on the tabs for the times that you want the pump off is the proper configuration, but how exactly do I set the timer for the local time? The inner dial spins but when I move it to the correct time, it just stays there and never moves.
    I think I found the correct instructions. Note that your tabs operate backwards from how you thought - at least that is how I read this.

I agree with another user who said that if it isn't turning and keeping time it's probably dead.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/adspecs/AS11-3148-125.pdf
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    I think I found the correct instructions. Note that your tabs operate backwards from how you thought - at least that is how I read this.

I agree with another user who said that if it isn't turning and keeping time it's probably dead.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/adspecs/AS11-3148-125.pdf

Yep, that looks like the one I have. Thanks! It's making "clock noises", in that, it sounds like a motor is running in it. It could be that the dial is loose on the front. I'll check this evening.
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.