divot in floor of new AGP

Makdaddy

Jul 23, 2012
Springfield Illinois
Well the pool is 2 weeks old
Its been hot 90 to 100 everyday
I added 1 1/2 in the pool over the weekend, seems normal for evap

But tonight Im in the pool and I found a divot about the size of a softball, Or at least half of a softball
I have not called the installer yet.
Do I have a leak or is this normal for the floor to shift like that?

We have been in drought conditions for three months as well

My pool is about 5 weeks old... Could it be a footprint? I'm noticing some crevaces which I can only assume are the ground cracking beneath the pool. we even have the "perfect" (ha!) pool bottom... I'd hate to see "imperfect". You can always call your installer too and have them check it out. I see you have gorilla floor which is what I originally ordered but a pool store error changed stuff at last minute. I've started trying to swim more and obsess less but I totally know what you mean!

Definitely be sure it's not a leak!! MikeInNH -- what would a leak look like underwater? I can imagine seeing an actual tear or hole but would there be air bubbles or other signs??

You're just north of me by a couple hours, this drought is crazy. It sprinkled the other day and my kids went in the yard and danced in it! I pray for rain to replenish the land though I think it's too late for the crops.

My installer told me to use a rolling pin to smooth out any places that needed it. We have only found one place that he did not have purrrrr-fect and it was very minor but the rolling pin did the trick. (This is the only use I have for a rolling pin! :wink: LOL)

Kim

BethyM said:
My pool is about 5 weeks old... Could it be a footprint? I'm noticing some crevaces which I can only assume are the ground cracking beneath the pool. we even have the "perfect" (ha!) pool bottom... I'd hate to see "imperfect". You can always call your installer too and have them check it out. I see you have gorilla floor which is what I originally ordered but a pool store error changed stuff at last minute. I've started trying to swim more and obsess less but I totally know what you mean!

Definitely be sure it's not a leak!! MikeInNH -- what would a leak look like underwater? I can imagine seeing an actual tear or hole but would there be air bubbles or other signs??

You're just north of me by a couple hours, this drought is crazy. It sprinkled the other day and my kids went in the yard and danced in it! I pray for rain to replenish the land though I think it's too late for the crops.

Mine was not there before yesterday

So it looks like I will need to get some goggles on and check it out

BethyM said:
MikeInNH -- what would a leak look like underwater? I can imagine seeing an actual tear or hole but would there be air bubbles or other signs??

The one I found so far was a hole the size of a small finish nail. It was right in the middle of the divot and was pretty easy to see with goggles. That was a few years ago so the patch has held up well. Pool school mentions using blue food coloring around any suspect places and doing a bucket test to check water drop. I now have some mole trails in 3 places, I have to look close at those to make sure the mole didn't make a small hole while digging because it seems my water dropped while we had the rain.

As for rain, it has been pretty dry but we had some good rain a few days ago. Grass is brown some but the water table and Merrimack river seem to be fine. As for crops, looks like the whole country will have some trouble with that. Prayer is always a good thing.

Well I dont think there is a hole

But I cant stay down very long my 54 year old lungs arent what they used to be
Ill have my son check tomorrow nite
I will also send him down with a bottle of food coloring to see if it gets sucked into a hole
Whats the risk of not draining the pool to fix this?

I don't know about the risk but you'll know if it gets worse. Kinda like an infected finger, you can't help but watch it. Way early to think about draining it in my opinion but half a softball is pretty big. Can you feel the bottom of the divot or does it feel like it's now a bubble with no dirt under it?

Monitor your water level using the bucket test, put water in a bucket near the pool and see if the levels drop similarly do to evaporation. Any seems nearby?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did they have to remove any tree roots to install the pool? If so it is possible a void was created that did not get compacted down during installation. Unless they used a steam roller to compact the bottom this could happen. Hand tampers and vibration compators do not have the same downward force as a pool full of water, and over time the pool bottom will settle into dips and voids that naturally occur under the pool. If it is just settling, it is annoying but not going to cause a leak. Go ahead and have the installer check it out just to make sure there is not a problem.

zea3 said:
Did they have to remove any tree roots to install the pool? If so it is possible a void was created that did not get compacted down during installation. Unless they used a steam roller to compact the bottom this could happen. Hand tampers and vibration compators do not have the same downward force as a pool full of water, and over time the pool bottom will settle into dips and voids that naturally occur under the pool. If it is just settling, it is annoying but not going to cause a leak. Go ahead and have the installer check it out just to make sure there is not a problem.

Well I must have gotten a bad installer, funny several pool shops gave us his name as experienced
Yea this guy only watered down the sand he smoothed it but never tamped
God news the diviot passed the food color get. So no leak
But I'm upset with myself for not doing more research before the pool was installed

I wouldn't worry about it too much...pretty common for some amount of depressions to show up in agp builds, especially those with sand bottoms. I thought I did a pretty good job, but I still have a few divots in my deep end, mostly where I removed roots(where my extruded polystyrene isn't) and one right in the middle where I had a post pounded in for measuring that I must not have filled back up properly :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.