Bonding connector for splicing more than 2 wires

May 22, 2011
Is there an easy way (connector) to properly splice together 4 bonding conductors?

I've got a single bonding wire from my pool that runs to my pad and I've got 3 devices that needs to be bonded (SWG, pump, heater).

I might be able to daisy chain them, but it's a pretty tight fit trying to jam 2 #8 wires into a bonding lug and I'm not sure if doing that is code compliant.

Would something like this work?

043481000725xl.jpg

It's called a ground bar. They have all kinds of them at Lowes.

Thanks, I didn't think of attaching them 1 by 1 along the main wire with split bolts. That works!

A couple of other followup questions:

1. My bonding wire from the pool shell is insulated. I believe this is against the code. Do you know why the code calls for non-insulated wires? Is it a safety issue or maybe just to make it clear it is not a ground wire?

2. I had a baby guard fence (www.babyguardfence.com/) installed a couple of years ago. It is about 1 foot from the pool and has lots of aluminum posts with a rubbery mesh material. These posts are definitely not bonded as they simply sit in some holes drilled in my cement pavers. Is this a safety issue? I read something about all metal within 5 feet of the pool needing to be bonded. If so, it seems like there are lots and lots of people out there with this same issue.

Thanks again.

The bare wire requirment is so that the wire contacting the earth throughout the loop is basically bonding the earth around the pool also. that's why they don't want it insulated.

You read correctly. Anything conductive within 5' of the pool requires bonding. I'd contact the mfg and ask that question. They should have an answer.

Bama Rambler said:
The bare wire requirment is so that the wire contacting the earth throughout the loop is basically bonding the earth around the pool also. that's why they don't want it insulated.

You read correctly. Anything conductive within 5' of the pool requires bonding. I'd contact the mfg and ask that question. They should have an answer.

Yes, the bare wire is to improve bonding to earth.

The business about anything conductive being bonded, ie baby fence posts, is a grayer area. By that logic brass anchors for safety covers should be bonded; metal deck furniture should be bonded.

It's an interesting issue. My question is, always, where is the path for current flow?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.