Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bonding connector for splicing more than 2 wires

1. Back To Top    #1

Bonding connector for splicing more than 2 wires

Is there an easy way (connector) to properly splice together 4 bonding conductors?

I've got a single bonding wire from my pool that runs to my pad and I've got 3 devices that needs to be bonded (SWG, pump, heater).

I might be able to daisy chain them, but it's a pretty tight fit trying to jam 2 #8 wires into a bonding lug and I'm not sure if doing that is code compliant.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bonding connector for splicing more than 2 wires

Bonding lugs come in various sizes and I assume you can stack them.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

3. Back To Top    #3

Would you be so kind as to link me to an example of one that will work for 4 conductors of #8 solid wire?

All I've found have been split bolts which typically handle 2 conductors.

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

There are none that I know of that are rated for outdoor use (have to be direct burial rated). You could use 4 split bolts and string them along the main lead you want to connect to.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Would something like this work?

It's called a ground bar. They have all kinds of them at Lowes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Would something like this work?

It's called a ground bar. They have all kinds of them at Lowes.
    It "could" but, any connector in a pool bonding system, at least in my area, has to be rated for direct burial.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

7. Back To Top    #7

As Dan said, they need to be specifically rated for bonding and that includes burial.

If it were me, I would attach each item individually to the loop.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, I didn't think of attaching them 1 by 1 along the main wire with split bolts. That works!

A couple of other followup questions:

1. My bonding wire from the pool shell is insulated. I believe this is against the code. Do you know why the code calls for non-insulated wires? Is it a safety issue or maybe just to make it clear it is not a ground wire?

2. I had a baby guard fence (www.babyguardfence.com/) installed a couple of years ago. It is about 1 foot from the pool and has lots of aluminum posts with a rubbery mesh material. These posts are definitely not bonded as they simply sit in some holes drilled in my cement pavers. Is this a safety issue? I read something about all metal within 5 feet of the pool needing to be bonded. If so, it seems like there are lots and lots of people out there with this same issue.

Thanks again.

9. Back To Top    #9

The bare wire requirment is so that the wire contacting the earth throughout the loop is basically bonding the earth around the pool also. that's why they don't want it insulated.

You read correctly. Anything conductive within 5' of the pool requires bonding. I'd contact the mfg and ask that question. They should have an answer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The bare wire requirment is so that the wire contacting the earth throughout the loop is basically bonding the earth around the pool also. that's why they don't want it insulated.

You read correctly. Anything conductive within 5' of the pool requires bonding. I'd contact the mfg and ask that question. They should have an answer.
    Yes, the bare wire is to improve bonding to earth.

The business about anything conductive being bonded, ie baby fence posts, is a grayer area. By that logic brass anchors for safety covers should be bonded; metal deck furniture should be bonded.

It's an interesting issue. My question is, always, where is the path for current flow?
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

11. Back To Top    #11

Pages 78/79 reference pool and spa but many of them are direct burial. I kinda like the Buglugs.
    http://www.greaves-usa.com/pdfs/pp72-95%20Grounding.pdf
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)