Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Can't find my CYA and the chlorine is gone

Can't find my CYA and the chlorine is gone

Help my pool water is possessed!

I have add the recommended start up dose of CYA but it still measures 0. FC will drop from 7 to 0 in 1 day. PH keeps rising also.

No water loss. For past 6 years the PH has not needed any adjusting and CYA has never been an issue since going BBB. Water stays clear but not sparkley.

I live in N TX so the temp has been holding at about 105 for an air temp. I have several trees so even though the pool gets a lot of afternoon sun it is about 40-60% shaded all day. I use Clorox. Added a gal of acid to balance PH then shocked the pool to FC24, held overnight but still no CYA after adding 10lbs and PH is rising again plus using clorox fast.

Thanks

Divetek1

25K fiberglass pool, 1650 Hayward cartridge filter, Intelaflo pump
    Pool: 25K Gal in ground fiberglass pool, Hayward 1650 cartridge filter and Pentair Intellaflo pump.

Re: Can't find my CYA and the chlorine is gone

Welcome

When did you add the CYA and how did you add it to the pool?
    Granules or liquid?
    What are you using to test your levels?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Thanks for the reply.

I added Granules in a sock floating in the skimmer. I did half a few weeks ago and could not check it for a couple of weeks. I expected it to be low but not 0. I use the test kit from trouble free pools and took a sample to Leslie's for a backup test.
    Pool: 25K Gal in ground fiberglass pool, Hayward 1650 cartridge filter and Pentair Intellaflo pump.

So you did 5 lbs a few weeks ago and then the other 5 lbs half when?

It can take a week to show up on the test and just trying to eliminate that as a reason.

Have you been showing any CCs?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner

I put the other 5 lbs in last Thursday but I still showed 0 CYA a few weeks after adding the first 5 lbs. I know it was 0 to start with because it was not add after draining and refilling the pool last fall.

I know it confuses me.

Thanks,

Alec

The reason I asked is 5 lbs should raise it by 24ppm which is on the edge of being readable in the test. So if it had been less than a week after the second 5 lbs, there was a chance it might finally register closer to 40ppm.

If not, there may be something in the water breaking the CYA down ... you should catch it and cultivate it and make yourself millions of dollars

Do you have CC showing up that could indicate the presence of ammonia?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Here are my readings for tonight.
    PH - 7.8
    FC - 0
    Alkalinity - 120
    CYA - 0

Forgot CC reading shocked the pool to FC - 24

Have not washed filter since adding the 5 lbs of CYA last Thur.

Thanks,

Alec

Did you test after you added the chlorine to see if you go to shock level?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.