Cloudy water - very distressed

Jojo4A

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Moundville, Alabama
Pool was completed July 9th. Smooth sailing untiil today. Got home from work, and OMG, water is cloudy. Hubby says it came a pretty hard rain. When he went out to check pool, he noted the water cloudy then and water level high. He did a back wash. We have had several very hard rains in the last few weeks and they didn't make my water turn cloudy. Iquickly tested and here are my results.

FC 5
CC 0
pH 7.8 - I really have a hard time judging this one. Colors too similar to my old eyes
TA 80
CH 130 - IG vinyl liner
CYA 80 - (yes SWG)

I know the pH is a little high per my estimation. But would that make my water cloudy?
Thinking I need to let pump run 24 hours. Still very new at this.
Would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks in advance

Nothing in your tests is out of the ordinary.

What did the backwash water look like? Why did he do it?

How cloudy is it? Do you have a pic?

Have you added anything to the pool in the last 24 hours?

The rain had nothing to do with it.

What did the backwash water look like? He says it was dirty looking, then cleared after about 4-5 mins. \

Why did he do it? Due to high level of water after the rain.

How cloudy is it? Not horrible, but not clear.

Do you have a pic? I literally took a picture last night with light on. Will post both, even though one was at night
and one now. Its just after 7 here in Alabama.

Have you added anything to the pool in the last 24 hours? No

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 119
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 119
LOL ... someone has sparklipoolitis. That is the clearest cloudy pool I have seen. :goodjob:

The storm could have just blown in some dirt.

If you want to be safe, just bump your FC up to shock level and leave the pump on to filter the water. If you do not notice it getting better, you could try a little DE in the sand to grab the fine particles.

Ok so I can add sparklingpoolitis to my Problem List (Nurse Practitioner lingo) which also includes Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder. And just so you all know, I caught that disorder from all you kind TFP folks. Here is another picture of the pool after it got darker. The light really shows the particles in suspension. So maybe there was a heavy wind, prior to the rain that blew dirt in. Well anyway I will be anxious to see how it looks tomorrow when I get home from work. Will leave the pump on for 24 hours.

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 110
In the mean time, been to Pool School to read about adding DE (if needed). Where is the best place to get this? Haven't set foot in a pool store yet. Choices here in T-Town are few and far between. Could I get it at Walmart or Lowes?

Hardware stores should have it (although in 25 lb boxes). I think I read that someone found a much smaller box at Walmart.

Make sure you only get the stuff meant for a pool, there are other types of DE.

Walmart sells a 10 lb box of DE, by HTH, as a filter aid. But you'd better hurry as I was in Wallyworld yesterday to get a bag of baking soda, and all their pool supplies were on a small clearance shelf, and going fast. Guess the Christmas trees will be up by the weekend.

I see what you mean, it does look a bit cloudy in that center deep section - but only that section, is it possible it's just dirt or pollen or something? Other than that section it looks great. Could the backwash have blown some medium in there?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.