Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

View Poll Results: Do you pee in the pool?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • A: Yes, just like Michael Phelps.

13 19.12%
  • B: That's gross! Deny, Deny, Deny - it worked for OJ.

42 61.76%
  • C: I plead the 5th.

13 19.12%

Thread: Peeing in the pool poll.

1. Back To Top    #1

Peeing in the pool poll.

A continuation from this thread: olympians-pee-in-pools-nice-t51679.html
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Peeing in the pool poll.

Where is the "Only when not in my pool" option
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I sure hope this isn't a public poll.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Isn't urine sterile?

Seriously, peeing in a pool is unbelievably gross. I can't believe anyone would do this in a swimming pool. I barely do it when I'm wade fishing in Texas bays. It still doesn't feel right to pee with a bathing suit/wading pants on.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by HouTex
    Isn't urine sterile?

Seriously, peeing in a pool is unbelievably gross. I can't believe anyone would do this in a swimming pool. I barely do it when I'm wade fishing in Texas bays. It still doesn't feel right to pee with a bathing suit/wading pants on.
    Dude, fish pee all the time.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Isn't urine sterile?

Aren't waders rubber - waterproof pants? Doesn't waterproof go both ways?

Fish pee all the time, but not in my pool.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by texasdad
    Isn't urine sterile?

Aren't waders rubber - waterproof pants? Doesn't waterproof go both ways?

Fish pee all the time, but not in my pool.
    Yes, my point was that it's hard for me to let go when I have pant bottoms/swim trunks on. I have to wait until I'm in the boat and then drop trow and go the usual way of the bow or stern. Of course fish, porpoises, etc. pee in the bay. I just have a hard time doing it with pants on. Just seems unnatural to me. I can't imagine doing it in my or someone else's pool.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

1st fish that EVER pee's in my pool is BANNED for the summer! No if's and or butt's!!

All I can think about now is the thread from last year where a catfish was added to a pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

My name is Shane and I pee in the pool....lol
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by spidey07
    Dude, fish pee all the time.
    Something to keep in mind on this though. As an aquarium keeper one of the first things you learn about is what is called the "cycle". This is the natural transformation of the waste into semi-harmless matter. This is done by two types of benificial bacteria. The first kind breaks ammonia down into nitrites. The amonia is a byproduct of the fish pee. The second kind breaks the nitrites down into nitrates. In the normal cycle, aquatic pets go to the bathroom in their own house. They urinate and excrete directly into the water. It would be the same as you or I urinating or excreting into the air, in our very own houses. For the aquarium inhabitants, the most harmful waste product is ammonia. Nitrites are also very harmful to the inhabitants, but not as harmful as ammonia. Nitrates, in large quantities, are also harmful to the inhabitants, but not nearly as harmful as either ammonia, or nitrites. Nitrites are eliminated thru water changes and by live plants in the water which convert the nitrates into oxygen

In nature this same cycle exists. The addition of fresh water from rain and springs as well as the plant life in the water combine to remove all of the byproducts and keep the water fresh. Wind and wave action also help with this.

Pools don't have this ability so we clorinate to keep the bacteria at bay. While I will agree that the thought is gross, I think it is more psycological than anything.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Shane1
    My name is Shane and I pee in the pool....lol
    Hi Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    I think it is more psycological than anything.
    I often think, this is gross. But, seeing it dissipate makes me feel better, almost like watching it become "clean."

I disagree with the wording since Phelps can't bump the FC just to be sure.

Brown and green swamp water becomes sanitized sparkling clean water

I believe in a post by chem geek he described the process and said 8 seconds is what it takes for the urine to be chlorinated (assuming the appropriate FC levels).

Doesn't everyone bring tiny amounts of fecal matter in to the pool?
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]