Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water is cloudy and zero fc

1. Back To Top    #1

water is cloudy and zero fc

Sunday I tested my water. I had a fc reading of 2ppm and cya of 50. I have a swg and it was set to the 3rd led light out of 5. I put the swg at max. output and added 3 lbs. of cya.

Today the water looked cloudy with a fc reading of zero. My ph was at 7.3 so i am going to add 4 lbs of borax.

All summer the water has been crystal clear with no fc loss and a cc of zero. Not sure why the swg stopped producing chlorine. We did get a few heavy showers the past couple days.

Any thoughts?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water is cloudy and zero fc

If you want to add the borax, add the tiniest bit. pH should drift up because of your SWG.

Most likely you are still producing chlorine, but you have organics in the pool. Do you see tiny bubbles coming out the return when the SWG is running? Can you take a sample right at the return and test it for FC?

My guess is you have something growing in the pool, and it's eating the FC faster than your SWG can manufacture it. You need to perform the OCLT in my opinion.
    pool-school/overnight_fc_test
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

As you have done, you should raise the CYA closer to the 70-80ppm range.

After checking the OCLT (and after you finish shocking if required), you should be maintaining a higher FC level ... minimum is 3-4ppm, so you should try to hold it closer to 5-6ppm.

Actually, you should not add the CYA until you confirm whether you need to go through the shock process or not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well unfortunely I added the cya on sunday. My fc was at 4-5 all summer. I have not had to shock the pool at all except when I first open pool in may. No heavy bather load either. Just my wife and son. Do u think I should shock,I guess i should use 50 as my cya.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Do the OCLT to determine if you need to shock. Turn off the SWG and keep the pump running all night.

If it is cloudy and your FC went to 0, then you likely need to do the shock process.

Use what your target was for the CYA including what you just added to determine the shock FC level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!