Time to replace our WhisperFlo pool pump? Please help

Fleur

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 26, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Hello Everyone,

I think it is time to replace our pool pump (WhisperFlo Two Speed 1 1/2 Hp 1.47 SF). Our problem began ~ a month ago: a pool pump was not turning on with our spa pump as scheduled, it was making noises as if the system tried to initialize it (IntelliTouch i10+3D), but it would not start. The noise it was making for a few seconds sounded as if there were no water inside of the pump and that’s why it could not start. After several attempts it would turn on. Two day ago the pump started making grinding noises while it was running (which did not happen before). I turned it off manually, waited a little bit and turned it on again. A few minutes later grinding sound came back again and pump shut off. Today I cannot start it at all. IntelliTouch tries to initiate it ~ every 5 minutes or so with no luck.
I understand I was supposed to call for someone as soon as I realized there is a problem, and most likely, it is too late to fix this one.

I think we will end up replacing this pump, but I would like to know which one would suit our system the best. Leslies has Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pumps (40023 Pentair Intelliflo SVRS Pump $1,369.99 +tax and 40033Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump w/ Time $1,199.99). I don’t know yet how much they will charge for installation and if they give any warranty on labor. I can buy any of these pumps online from a reputable retailer cheaper and not pay taxes, but I have no idea if it is worth the risk. I also don’t know who I should use to install it.

Our current pump, WhisperFlo Two Speed 1 1/2 Hp 1.47 SF, does not have enough power to supply water for our SWG when I run it on 1st speed – our chlorine generator shows "no water". Will one of these new variable speed pumps be beneficial to us? I’m afraid we may face the same problem when it won’t provide enough power to get water up to our SWG system when we run it with low speed (see photos of our set-up)

i-JhZRnd4-XL.jpg

i-TWVsKrB-L.jpg

Also, if anyone can give me an idea how much I will pay for replacing a pump, please do so.

Thank you!

Hi, I replaced my old pump with Pentair's Intelliflow 110018, purchased online (ebay) for under $900. Had it installed for about $100. Love it. My electric bill has decreased dramatically (I mean by at least 1/3!). I also got a $600 rebate from my electric company, but I think the rebates are smaller now and even may have gone away in some markets. Good luck.
p.s. I had a pool store Pinch-a-Penny do the install. Was gonna do it myself but lacked the pvc skills :)

It mak be that your motor just needs bearings or at worst the motor needs replacing. If you can pull the pump, take it to a full service pool store or a motor shop to see what they say.

moyer02 said:
Hi, I replaced my old pump with Pentair's Intelliflow 110018, purchased online (ebay) for under $900. Had it installed for about $100. Love it. My electric bill has decreased dramatically (I mean by at least 1/3!). I also got a $600 rebate from my electric company, but I think the rebates are smaller now and even may have gone away in some markets. Good luck.
p.s. I had a pool store Pinch-a-Penny do the install. Was gonna do it myself but lacked the pvc skills :)

I would love to reduce our electric bill, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't know if new Intelliflow pump will produce enough water flow to reach our Chlorine generator cell when running with lower speed.
I guess, these new pumps maybe more efficient even when run with higher or max speed... I did not see any tables comparing energy efficiency for WhisperFlow vs Intelliflow

The biggest rebate our electric company offers is $200 only if you buy it from one of the local retailers. Considering you pay almost MSRP + taxes, you still pay more at the end buying locally with a rebate vs buying online without one.
Also, if I can get our pump replaced for $100, I would be thrilled :)

JohnT said:
It mak be that your motor just needs bearings or at worst the motor needs replacing. If you can pull the pump, take it to a full service pool store or a motor shop to see what they say.
It is a possibility, but if it is a motor, it will be easier to buy a new pump (~$500 for the similar WhisperFlow)
This one is quite old.
I don't have much time to be running around the city with a pump in my hands trying to find a reputable diagnostic shop (I don't know any). I will look into it, but cutting PVC pipes is not my forte ;)
Maybe, I can find someone who can diagnose it at home...

I just wanted to post updates in case someone will face a similar situation.

In our area, Phoenix, AZ, a regular price for installing IntelliFlo VS pump seems to be around $250. I got quotes from $200 to $300 and one quote of $105, but since our IntelliTouch i10+3D panel needed to be updated with a flush kit from Pentax in order to accommodate a new pump, I could not use any companies who gave me a low quote - they had no equipment to perform this task.
Several companies tried to sell me different pumps, insisting they were better and ignoring that we already have a control panel from pentair. I guess, they had contracts with different brands.

I have not replaced a pump yet, but I have an appointment scheduled for this Thursday ($250). Our panel was updated by a Pentax rep a few hours ago. Our pump installer contacted and set it up - no additional fees, all included in $250. I ordered this pump from one of the local AZ shops (authorized Pentair dealer) and paid $980 with taxes. They should deliver it today. It is a good price if you compare it with Leslies. I know I can get it online even cheaper, but time is my enemy - I need to fix this thing asap.

I contacted Leslies at first, (since they have these pumps in stock + give an an instant $200 rebate from our electric company), but I did not feel confident going with them. They just tried to sell me equipment without knowing for sure if a contractor would be able to update our panel. Also, one Leslies' owner provided me with a misleading information. When I wanted to price Pentair Intelliflo VS pump and Intelliflo SVRS, he tried to talk me out of SVRS by telling that this pump can only be programmed by professionals and once they do so, I cannot change any settings myself. This is not true, I called Pentair to verify. Another Leslies rep gave me a regular price for this pump with installation and mentioned that it was good only for 2 hours, till 12PM. Honestly, I don't like when I need to make a decision right now or "else". It reminded me of DirectBuy, when they try to scare you by announcing that if you don't pay 5K right now, you will never be able to enter this elite club later on, even if you beg them to take your 5K.

I think I won't be able to use the lowest speed setting for this IntelliFlo VS pump because of our SWG, but I hope it is more efficient and durable than WhisperFlo. I could run our 2 speed Whisperflo only at high speed anyway, and our electric bill was huge.

Also, I realized that I should have posted this message in a different section, most likely, Equipment - Build, Use, and Repair Pumping Station, but I think only a Moderator can move my topic there.

Fleur said:
Also, I realized that I should have posted this message in a different section, most likely, Equipment - Build, Use, and Repair Pumping Station, but I think only a Moderator can move my topic there.
Not a problem in the other section, but I moved you per your request.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.