Recommended levels for all tile pool

pkn25

Jun 26, 2012
Hi, I've resurfaced my 20 year-old plaster pool with all mosaic glass tiles (3/4 x 3/4). The grout has been cured for about 3 months. I have SWC. I've read your pool school materials but didn't see anything for all glass tile pool. What would you suggest for the correct procedures to filling my pool with water and how long should I wait before swimming? The pool shell is old. The only new additions are the thinset/tile/grout. Also, all the equipment (pump, filter, heater) are newly replaced.

Thanks
Peter

Levels should be treated the same as those for a Plaster Pool. The plaster in your case is between each and every tile. Calcium Hardness and pH control will be important so as not to leach from the grout. Chlorine will be important, as usual, for sanitation of the water. TA will round out the list, but not quite as important. CYA would be at Salt Water levels as well (70-80), provided this is an outdoor pool.

Thanks elwood58, for replying. Yes, it's an outdoor pool in sunny southern California. I have a couple of questions regarding timing:

1. How long do we wait before swimming after filling the pool, providing that this is not exactly a new pool, but resurfaced with tiles? Should I treat it just like a brand new plaster pool? I've been told by my pool guy and others anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks, so we may just wait for the 4 weeks to be safe.

2. I have salt water system, and again I've been told to wait for 4 week before putting salt in the pool; and that we should use chlorine tablets instead before the 4 weeks of waiting. Is this true?

Thanks again for helping.
Peter

I am not sure about the waiting to swim requirement ... I think that is more for dust/cloudy water purposes (???)

But, you are correct to wait 4 weeks before adding salt. You can use tablets to start adding the required CYA and pH and help hold the pH down ... or you can just add the CYA separately and use liquid chlorine until your SWG is functional.

Pay attention to the pH and TA and CH to ensure your get a good cure.

You can swim as soon as the pool is full of water, provided it has some chlorine in it, is below shock level and it's clear. I would avoid jumping in from the sides for a week or two.

Start getting some CYA in the water, and brush the sides down a couple of times per day. Run the pump for 24 hours a day for the first couple of weeks. Wait al least three weeks to start up the salt side of things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.