Sodium Hypo Floater

piku

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 12, 2008
Hatfield, PA
Hey all,

As my CYA is quite high I shouldn't be using trichlor tabs right now but I am due to lack of time. My only option for automatic chlorine dosing seems to be the liquidator which requires modification to the plumbing and other issues.

Has anyone ever considered a sodium hypo floater that simply has a small opening that allows the chlorine to mix slowly with teh water? Maybe at a drip rate? The pool water would keep the floater cool.... Is there a cal-hypo tab?

Thanks,
Mark

You can put a bottle of bleach in the pool with a hole in the top and it will mix into the pool slowly. However, it is difficult to control the rate and the rate will be faster at first and slower over time.

There are cal-hypo tablets. I think they are called duration. But they are a little hard to find.

Honestly my main problem is the unwieldy 2.5gal sodium hypo containers. If I had an easy way to dose from those, I'd be set. This is OT for this topic but the idea I'm having is to get 6 96oz bleach containers per 2.5gal 12.5% container. Then take the 2.5gal container lid and drill a hole and plumb a tube into it. Fill the 96oz 50% with water, 50% 12.5% then use the 96oz containers as needed. This does require eating the deposit on one of the 2.5gal containers unless I could find a compatible cap to drill elsewhere. Now that I think about it, I could make something out of a plastic ball valve and 5gal bucket. Interesting... I'll work on that tonight.

What I'd like is something like a water cooler in my garage that I can just put a measuring cup under and get the proper amount of liquid out without spilling or making a giant mess - especially considering my normal pool maint is done in the morning in my work clothes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.