Newbie-GREEN Pool Help please

The one thing I note, is that if you are doing the test correctly (using the 10ml sample size and not 25ml), then it seems like your FC ended up a lot higher than you had intended.

Although, you said earlier (and it agrees with the pool calculator) that you need to add 227 ounces. So did you actually add almost twice that amount (Says 3.5 gallons in your last post)?

3.5 gallons of 12% would have taken you up to around 24 ppm FC from 7.5, so that might be accurate.

If you know you are going to be shocking for longer, it's not that important to test the CCs. It would be more for imformation only. But when you think you are getting near the end of the shocking process, it will be important that you finish the FC test and do the CC test so that you can see if they are 0.5 or not.

aa62579 said:
If you know you are going to be shocking for longer, it's not that important to test the CCs. It would be more for imformation only. But when you think you are getting near the end of the shocking process, it will be important that you finish the FC test and do the CC test so that you can see if they are 0.5 or not.

You are right - if no one is getting in and CC's are not a concern you can skip them until later in the process.
However, he asked about getting in the pool and previous CC levels were 1ppm or > and the advice was that this was "safe" but could make for discomfort in some cases due to skin reactions to the CC's.

Good Morning! Thank you to everyone that replied!!

My daughter continued to test the water yesterday evening while we were gone. Test results of FC were 18 and higher.

I returned home around midnight and performed one last test. FC at 17. I did NOT add any additional chlorine. Pool remains green.

Ran a complete new set of tests this morning with the following results:
FC: 16
CC: .5
TA: 120
CH: 160
CYA: 55
pH: 7.8

There is quite a jump in my CYA from 40 yesterday to 55 today. Maybe due to my lack of experience in testing properly? We also received a good amount of rain overnight, which could affect other levels, but not CYA so not sure what to conclude.

According to the Chlorine/CYA chart, my target FC goal for shock level is 22
Pool calculator indicates adding 160 oz. of 12% bleach.

When I punched in all my numbers it is also saying I need to add 381 oz. calcium chloride?

Wondering what I should do next?
Add the additional bleach?
Does my water need balancing first?
Should I take a sample to store for a comparison test?

Thanks again, everyone!

Ignore Calcium Chloride for now.

When you last measured CYA was that measured in the same lighting conditions? Back to the sun - full sun?

Is the water clear? The OCLT and CC levels are good and if your water is clear you are done with standard shocking - if not then keep at it, raising it to the shock for a 55 CYA. Did you suspect mustard algae? If so are you comfortable with that process?

Yes, Measure CYA in the same lighting conditions.

No, water is NOT clear. It is still very green!

I do not know how to differentiate between green and mustard algae. I will read up on it and investigate further. Will that make a difference in how I shock?

dtalcorn said:
Yes, Measure CYA in the same lighting conditions.

No, water is NOT clear. It is still very green!

I do not know how to differentiate between green and mustard algae. I will read up on it and investigate further. Will that make a difference in how I shock?

Yes and No. You start the same way - shock level is normal. Then when you get to the point where things your water is clear and you have 0.5cc's or less you do an OCLT just like normal. IF you pass, then you crank it up to MA shock level for 24 hours and dump everything that comes in contact with the pool in for at least an hour. Light niches, ladders, etc also require extra attention.

Here's a link to the process.

After reading, I do not think it is mustard algae.

I have a few other challenges do to the size of my pool and my inability to brush it really well unless I get inside it. The pool store has told us we should have put in 2 pumps/filters for better circulation, although they sold us the pool and never mentioned that until AFTER we installed it and started having problems!

Could poor water circulation/brushing be playing into the problem? We have really strong pressure on our return and you can see the water circulating, but the pool people tell us it isn't optimal. I will continue to correct the problem as green algae and hope I am on the right path.

he one thing I note, is that if you are doing the test correctly (using the 10ml sample size and not 25ml), then it seems like your FC ended up a lot higher than you had intended.

I did the test correctly, using the 10ml sample size and yes, it seems as though my FC ended up a lot higher than intended. According to my calculations of 227 oz. = 3.5 gallons?

I've realized that I am using 12.5% bleach, not 12%. Using Austins liquid shock

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good Grief!!!!!! :hammer: OMG!!!!!!! :hammer:

I feel like a complete idiot. Thank you Allison for your help.

Needless to say, I have been over-bleaching. BUT...my pool is still green.

Now looking for the "Idiot's Guide to BBB"!!!!!!

dtalcorn said:
Good Grief!!!!!! :hammer: OMG!!!!!!! :hammer:

I feel like a complete idiot. Thank you Allison for your help.

Needless to say, I have been over-bleaching. BUT...my pool is still green.

Now looking for the "Idiot's Guide to BBB"!!!!!!

LOL, don't beat yourself up. A little over-bleaching is okay because you were testing in between and never let your levels get too high. As a side note, if you are on a computer, normally when you hold your cursor over the oz of bleach, it will tell you at the top how much that equates to in gallons/quarts/etc.

capture11r.png

My FC levels have been dropping very slowly.

1:45pm: 25
3:30pm: 23
5:00pm: 19

Working off my shock goal of 22, this is the first time since 12pm/noonish that I have added any additional bleach.

My water is still green and I don't really notice any change, maybe a little clouding?
I feel as though I am missing something here? Should I test my CYA again? I read that testing for it can be tricky and subjective so maybe I am just not getting it right, therefore throwing off the correct amount of chlorine to add.

Starting to feel a little defeated especially after my screwup with the liquid calculations :roll:

Thanks everyone for your patience and assistance!

If I'm reading the filter info correctly you have a 2.2 square foot sand filter which is the size as mine. I've been told mine is undersized for my 13,500 gallon pool - but you have a 27K pool with the same filter. Sand can take a week to filter out the debris - and while I know you were hoping to see progress - with the undersized filter it may take longer.

My advice is to keep at it and stay the course for now.

Our filtration system is not ideal for the size pool we have. Wish the pool store would have told us that BEFORE we purchased it. I should have done my homework and found that out on my own, but what's done is done.

My concern is that I'm not seeing any visible change in the green turning lighter or going to clear/white. I don't see an indication that the algae is being killed. I realize once the shock has killed it, my water will most likely be cloudy for a while, but I don't seem to be making any progress in that direction.

Added chlorine 2 hours ago to bring up the FC level to 22. Tested it now and it is at 22. Doesn't seem to be dropping. And again, no visible sign that it is working on the algae.

The information that I read in the pool school stated that I should be checking the chlorine levels 30 minutes apart until the water begins to clear. I am waiting hours with no changes. What am I missing here?

BAFFLED???? I am completely clueless as to what to do with this pool and feeling like a complete idiot!

Testing this morning was the following: (10am)
FC: 20
CC: .5
TA: 130
CH: 150
CYA: I would approximate about 42. In between 40 and 50.

Punched those numbers in and the Target shock for my CYA level is 20....which is exactly what my FC is reading. So, I didn't add any more bleach. Backwashed the filter...it was very green and gunky.

12:30 pm (2 1/5 hours later) Tested chlorine again
FC: 21

My pool is still the same color green. I feel as though I am not making any progress and don't know what I am missing.
Should I be testing for metals and if so, how so?
Should I just bleach it until it starts to clear?
Would there be a reason my chlorine readings are jumping up without adding any chlorine (aside from human error)?

Starting to give up hope :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.