testing for copper, copper for algae control

Jul 20, 2012
Hello!

I finally got my Taylor K-1730 copper test kit and tested for copper this morning.

You're supposed to mix the chemicals, stand up the square tube on the little color comparitor card, look down the tube and compare the color to the color chart.

Egad, my eyes are so crossed I found that disappointly difficult. I tried looking in different lights and I THINK my copper is 0.3-0.5 ppm, a little high (I already unplugged the ionizer).

Question - why do you have to look DOWN the tube? Can you just compare color from the side like we do for everything else?

Also - does copper really work for algae control? Should I plug in the ionizer every now and then?

If this level is too high, what is the best "metal out" product out there?

Thanks to any advice!

I have not used the taylor copper test, but I think you need to look down through it to get the right color.

juniper55 said:
Also - does copper really work for algae control? Should I plug in the ionizer every now and then?
Copper stains pool surfaces and can turn blond hair green. Maintaining proper chlorine levels is a much better way to control algae. I would never plug it in again.

juniper55 said:
If this level is too high, what is the best "metal out" product out there?
See this link for recommended sequestrants: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/metal stains

However, if you are not having troubles, you might not have to do anything now...as long as you don't add anymore copper :hammer:

I haven't used that particular test either but as Linen eluded to, it's probably a saturation issue if you looked through the side.

Copper is an algaecide, BUT you don't need it as long as you keep the FC where it should be anyway. It's just an extra expense that you don't need.

Since I got better testing methods (the Taylor kits) I've been in much better control of things! Water is not greenish anymroe and filters aren't either.

Ha ha, maybe I can sell the copper and get some cash!! Or heat it, beat it and make a great new decorative bowl.

Thanks! I am grateful

We have the Taylor test kit k-1738 and we have the result of 3.0 ppm. What is high and what is low. We had a pool guy recommend and install a CLR ionizer (probably from his pool trash bin for suckers) and oddly enough there are no paperwork with it. Does any one know the address of CLR? Thanks... Nancy, an endless pool ownero

nmiller1945 said:
We have the Taylor test kit k-1738 and we have the result of 3.0 ppm. What is high and what is low. We had a pool guy recommend and install a CLR ionizer (probably from his pool trash bin for suckers) and oddly enough there are no paperwork with it. Does any one know the address of CLR? Thanks... Nancy, an endless pool ownero
That is high. Most copper ionizer systems run at about 0.3-1.0 ppm (depends if used with silver or not). I do not have a link for you, but I would get rid of the ionizer (assuming we are talking about a pool), since you still need chlorine with it, and the copper can cause staining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.