free chlorine

Jul 12, 2012
Northwest Alabama
is it possible to loose all my chlorine in a night i an just starting and had 0 chlorine and added bleach and got it to 10 yesterday and now as of 10 am this morning its around .5 how can i loose this much........what do i need to do . my other chemicals are near perfect

chris400 said:
is it possible to loose all my chlorine in a night i an just starting and had 0 chlorine and added bleach and got it to 10 yesterday and now as of 10 am this morning its around .5 how can i loose this much........what do i need to do . my other chemicals are near perfect

The dreaded... A-L-G-A-E strikes again! Sometimes it can be hidden - not visible and lurking silent eating your chlorine.

You more than likely need to go though the shocking process. Assuming that it is algae - look here: pool-school/defeating_algae

How are you testing? Can you post a full set of test results?

topher said:
when did you add the bleach? did you do it at night or in the morning? If you have no CYA in your water you will lose chlorine VERY fast due to sunlight. I always add my chlorine at night and get it just above my target level so that during the day I am good.

Good point!

ph-7.2
fc-0
total alkalinity-100
stabilizer 30-50
i added my bleach in the morning and it was reading 10 when i left for work yesterday at 130. I have a swg and im trying to get it ready to turn on . havent got my salt yet was trying to get everything right first .
also when should i put salt in and what kind of salt do i need ?

Well, you have to know why it's not stabilized first. It could be you have organics in the pool (algae, etc.), which can usually be determined by the CC content. Or, you can perform an OCLT. pool-school/overnight_fc_test
Or better yet, both.

You need a good test kit to be able to handle your pool. We suggest the TF-100.
http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html
It will allow you to monitor every necessary aspect of your pool. More importantly, it will allow you to measure high FC levels if it turns out you need to go through the shock process. Do not add a shock product to your pool, as your CYA is already at 30-50 and does not need to go higher until you know for sure why you can't maintain FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
chris400 said:
I JUST ORDERED THE 100 KIT in the mean time what do i need to do about my fc sence its at 0

Which specific test strips do you have?
Do you know your pool volume?
Have you tried using poolcalculator.com?

I'd use poolcalculator.com and pour in the amount of bleach suggested to get to the 10ppm level or higher (as high as you can measure on the test strips). Then every few hours (not while sleeping at work etc.) test again and add more based on what you read. If you read 5ppm then punch that into Poolcalculator.com. The strips are not very accurate - but they are better than being totally blind.

For peace of mind you can also take a sample to the pool store and have them test it - this assume they do not use strips. If their results are close to yours (take a strip sample at the store after they have tested) then you can trust your strips as well as you can their results. Normally pool store results are really not trusted due to operator error, testing kit inadequacy, etc. But in this case you have no info so some info is better than none.

When you get your test kit - compare it to the strips. You may find you were lucky and have OK strips that are a bit less accurate than you need but not wildly off. You may find that you have crazy results that are complete garbage - some people report that here. My own strips seem not too bad - but I don't use them for routine testing they are just a toy to me now or a tool I can use to tell my in-laws how to verify they didn't forget the bleach the night before.

ok thanks guys hopefully my kit will be here soon as i live in alabama and i can get all this stright the pool has just been full for about 3 days now so im not real worried bout alge that much yet and i did have my chlorine to 10 ppm yesterday for a long wile as my strip said the rest of my strip info says my other stuff is in balance according to the strip but i still am like yall on the test kit beeing better

chris400 said:
ok thanks guys hopefully my kit will be here soon as i live in alabama and i can get all this stright the pool has just been full for about 3 days now so im not real worried bout alge that much yet and i did have my chlorine to 10 ppm yesterday for a long wile as my strip said the rest of my strip info says my other stuff is in balance according to the strip but i still am like yall on the test kit beeing better

Still a little puzzled. If you had 10ppm at one point and then 0.5ppm the next day - you may have lost a lot overnight. Test tonight after sun is off the pool and test again in the morning with sun not yet on the pool. If the loss is minimal - hard to tell with strips - then assume you are OK for now.

If the CYA is 30-50 and you aren't losing a ton of chlorine overnight you don't need to keep it at 10ppm - you should shoot for 5-10ppm based on the strips and wait for your test.

chris400 said:
ill check it when i get in and then early in the morn

Check tonight. If low top it back up to target or a little higher. Then check again (half-hour or hour later) and then wait overnight and check before sun is on the pool.

Post all of the results.

Hold up. This is a newly filled pool correct? Did you actually add any stabilizer/conditioner to the water? Or use trichlor or dichlor?

If not, then your CYA would be 0 ... regardless what the test strips say ... and the sun will break the FC down very quickly.

As Robbie has pointed out, the OCLT can still be done to confirm whether anything is living in the pool ... since the sun is not on the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.