Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I find my water temperature to be pretty comfortable, though it is sometimes a bit cool in the morning (water temp maybe around 80?). My wife, on the other hand, gets cold pretty easily and therefore really doesn't get in the pool much save for when we have a string of upper 90s. I think just a few degrees warmer might do the job so am looking at solar heaters. I found a couple on Amazon (link below) that are pretty inexpensive (reviews are mixed, but interestingly it seems reviews from 2009 are a disaster and more recent ones are much better so perhaps they made some improvements) but am unsure if they would actually do the job as my pool is about 20,000 gallons. Anyone have experience with these?

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Game-4512-AquaQui ... ool+heater

Is a solar cover perhaps the simple and inexpensive solution? I am skeptical of those as well, but I don't really have a good reason to be. I think I just don't want to deal with a reel and taking it on and off....

A solar cover would keep you from losing your heat overnight. Even if you bought a heater, you would be throwing money away by not having the pool covered at night. A solar cover would also cut down on your chlorine consumption and water loss due to evaporation.

I bought a solar cover first and just the cover heated my water very well if I left it on during a sunny day. I then made some solar heaters and the combination of the two is awesome.
If you are only looking for a few degrees, I'd just try the solar cover first. That should get you where you want to be without a lot of hassle and expense.

A solar cover used (at least) at night will make a big difference. I would start with that.

I have not heard to many good reports on the heater you linked too. The panel style are much more effective.

Thanks everyone. I will go with a solar cover and see what that does for me. I like the idea of cutting it up as well.

Get a heavy gauge solar blanket.

Those solar heaters you linked to are useless, solar heating is about area, you need a bigger area in which to treat more water. I put up a solar heating system this summer and it has definitely helped raise the pool temp, I added 160 square feet of panels and that probably just met the minimum recommended for my pool.
Solar heat is a worthwhile investment, I recommend spending the money to do it right.

Cramer is right on about the solar panels being worth the investment. I have about 70% solar panel area to pool area and it does a great job getting my pool up about 5 degrees. Having a solar cover on at night probably also adds (or doesn't let evaporation subtract) about 5 degrees. Just a different perspective on the gauge of the solar cover...I would go cheap since none of the solar covers last more then a few seasons (mine is on it's third..it is 8 mil). All gauges of covers insulate similarly.

Thanks Linen, just a few degrees would be a big help for the wife I think.

Cramar, is direct sunlight necessary for those solar panels? I'd have to take a closer look throughout the day, but I am afraid the only direct sunlight near the pool (besides the pool itself) is the yard so I don't have much options for placing the panels. Maybe they could become my new deck walls....

Yes, sunlight is required, it heats the panels and the panels heat the water, the longer the sunlight the better. Being that my site faces west I don't get really strong heat on it until about 11am and then it's good until sunset but the heat right now tends to stop being effective around 6-7 pm.
That said, they can be plumbed some distance from the pool to a rear yard or to a roof top, within reason (pump size, etc). My install is on my garage roof and the furthest plumbing run is 35 feet or so.

But maybe this is your main problem, how much sun does the pool itself get? If there isn't much sunlight on the site it's gonna be hard to generate heat without a dedicated mechanical heater.

Maybe removing some trees will help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool actually gets really good direct sunlight for a good chunk of the day and I think that is why the previous owner placed it where it is. As I just moved into the house a couple of months ago, I need to take some closer looks to see what options might be. I'll start with a solar cover this year though.

linen said:
Just a different perspective on the gauge of the solar cover...I would go cheap since none of the solar covers last more then a few seasons (mine is on it's third..it is 8 mil). All gauges of covers insulate similarly.

I completely agree here, I had a 16 mil that fell apart after 2 years, and am currently on season 3 with my "el cheapo". The thinner covers are easier to roll up, lighter, and provide the same benefits of the thicker ones at a fraction of the price. They are just building the warranties into the price of the thicker ones and are always prorated anyway to get you to shop there again...

I have 2, I use the thinner one in the spring start up and then switch to the heavier one in the summer, I find the heavier one does a better job at retaining heat and is manageable enough that I can put it on/off by myself.

So, I've ordered a solar cover, should arrive tomorrow and I'll see how that does. I think I will add some solar panels but next year. Really, I need to re-plumb the whole system and did not want to do so until I was sure we would actually keep the pool. Here is a picture of my set-up, this is facing directly East. You can see there is a nice clearing dead center that gets some good sun early in the morning, though it falls somewhat behind shadows later in the day due to the tree to the right. How sensitive to placement are these solar panels? You can see I really don't have an option to mount these on a rooftop, so I am wondering if placing them between the deck lattice work and the wooden fence directly behind it would be my best bet given the constraints? Any insight? (I am looking at you Cramar ;)

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 196
The longer you can catch the sun during the middle of the day, the better. First choice is facing south, second choice would be southwest. Since you will be on the ground, you can pick your angle, which can make them more efficient (having the panel at 90 degrees to the sun rays is perfect...though that changes thoughout the season).

South of the pool looks to be where your bird box is? Facing south would be ideal, but if you are still in the shade a noon, then angling them towards the southwest might be better. You want the maximum of direct sunlight on the panels. Putting them where you suggested appears like it would see shade during the heat of the day?

Start cutting back what trees you can
I've trimmed back some trees to extend the length of time that sun hits my pool & solar panels
I usually hit 88 degrees with my pool in the summer - does not stay there for long
My all time high was last year when it briefly hit 92
For next year I will actually have 6 working 2'x20' solar heat panels instead of the 5 I had last year
I also have 4-5 older panels that leak that I use in the Spring on top of the safety cover to help bring the pool up to temp faster

I use a solar cover too, they do work

Thanks for all of the input. My solar cover arrives today so I'm interested to see how that impacts.

Linen - Yes, birdhouse is to the south, but I am less than excited about having giant panels laying in my yard and the filter and skimmer are on the other side of the pool so some extended plumbing would be required. I'm not certain where I first suggested would be completey in the shade by afternoon as my plan would be to have them raised well off the ground, but I'd have to pay close attention to be certain.

Thanks again, I have a lot to think about before next spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.