new build proposal in Dallas TX area

Jul 21, 2012
My wife and I are going to put a small pool in so I have been lurking on the site for quite a while. We live in the Dallas area and due to the shape of our lot we have some space issues to deal with. Here is a list of what our company is proposing and we are still discussing price with them. There will be a retaining wall on the long side of the pool about 35 feet long and the scuppers will come from that.

29x25x15x19 trapezoidal shape max 5.5 feet deep
pool shell 10" box beam w/ 1/2 steel & 1/2 steel 10"o floor and walls with alternating bars
gunite 8" thick floor & walls
pool filter, Pentair FNS Plus D.E. 60SF
Pump, Pentair WhispeFlo WF-28 2HP
Fountain ss 1" pipe scuppers
Pool chlorinator, Rainbow in-line w/ check valve
Pool Ozonator, Clear O3 by Paramont
Nature 2G Mineral Purification System
pool Sweep, Polaris 280 Black Max
Cleaner Booster Pump Pentair Letro 3/4 HP
Pool Automation Easy Touch 4P
Easy touch wireless controller
auto fill paralevel w DCA at water meter per city code
pool skimmer
pool plumbing all pipe will be SCH 40 PVC
Backwash Line w P-trap
Pool Electrical
Light Pentair 100W ss Face Plate
Pool Light Intellibrite Colored LED
Flagstone Lueders Limestone 2"
Tile Budget 16 Sq Ft/ 210 Sq ft
Pool Plaster Diamond Brite or Durazzo / Custom Color Darker blue additional charge
Pool start-up
Acidify Water and brush plaster daily for the first 3-5 days
maintain cleaning and chemicals for the first 7 days
pool permit
sod repair

Answers intertwined below.
scotpool said:
... 29x25x15x19 trapezoidal shape max 5.5 feet deep
pool shell 10" box beam w/ 1/2 steel & 1/2 steel 10"o floor and walls with alternating bars
gunite 8" thick floor & walls
pool filter, Pentair FNS Plus D.E. 60SF
Pump, Pentair WhispeFlo WF-28 2HP
Fountain ss 1" pipe scuppers

Get rid of the following three items. Switch to a swg or a liquid injection system. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the future.

[s:2v3h86up]Pool chlorinator, Rainbow in-line w/ check valve[/s:2v3h86up]
[s:2v3h86up]Pool Ozonator, Clear O3 by Paramont[/s:2v3h86up]
[s:2v3h86up]Nature 2G Mineral Purification System[/s:2v3h86up]

Pool Sweep, Polaris 280 Black Max
Cleaner Booster Pump Pentair Letro 3/4 HP
Pool Automation Easy Touch 4P
Easy touch wireless controller
auto fill paralevel w DCA at water meter per city code
pool skimmer
pool plumbing all pipe will be SCH 40 PVC Make sure it's at least 2" and 2½" would be better. Individual runs back to the pad would be good too.
Backwash Line w/ P-trap
Pool Electrical
Light Pentair 100W ss Face Plate
Pool Light Intellibrite Colored LED
Flagstone Lueders Limestone 2"
Tile Budget 16 Sq Ft/ 210 Sq ft
Pool Plaster Diamond Brite or Durazzo / Custom Color Darker blue additional charge
Pool start-up
Acidify Water and brush plaster daily for the first 3-5 days
maintain cleaning and chemicals for the first 7 days
pool permit
sod repair

I'm sure others will be along with more recommendations.

Make sure the PB is ok using that flagstone with salt pool if you decide to go that way. I can't talk highly enough in regards to how trouble-free the salt water chlorine generator (SWG) can make owning a pool.

Wow, no heater. I was going to say you probably don't need a pool heater around here.

x2 on leaving off the pool heater.

We're 4 hours north of you in Tulsa, and will probably be adding a heat pump to our pool next year. These 100 degree+ days almost make the pool water too warm...lately it's been hovering between 98-100 degrees. A heat pump can be used to chill the water on those really hot days, and can be used to heat the water to extend the swim season. (And I'm told they're less expensive to operate than a gas heater).

Tulsa is a lot cooler than D/FW most the time. I used to spend a lot of time there. So, that's very good added advice!

You know you can make a fountain/chiller and run it during the night to drop pool temps. I ran mine last year and over 4-5 days was able to get mine down 8 degrees. I have a LOT of water to cool, too!

Robbie...yep...I read about that, so we asked for a fountain when we built our pool. We were expecting a deck-mounted or wall-mounted fountain that could be controlled with its own valve...but, instead, we got a plastic fountain head that replaces one of the returns...LOL. I run our filter 3am to 10pm every day, and, since putting the fountain in a little over a week ago, have noticed only a 2 degree drop in water temp. (I'm sure I could cool it more than that if I took the fountain off every morning and put the return eye back in...but it seems like such a pain! My only other option would be to only run the filter at night...but I don't want to do that, either).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Regarding the Computer.. We bought the EasyTouch8 with the wall mounted control panel. We skipped the remote part, since we already have 3 places to turn everything on. As difficult as it is, I have to launch myself off of the couch and walk all the way to the indoor monitor on the wall. (I really wanted the remote.. but the husband decided I could use the exercise.) :lol:

Good luck!!

What I would suggest is find the "look" you are looking for. Make a list of the features you want to add to a basic pool. There are some fine builders right here in the metroplex that would be happy to give you bids... especially now. We are getting closer to the end of the swimming season (sort of.) My PB (for example) can't really go far because he is a "hands on guy" that oversees the entire process. Driving 2 hours to get somewhere is not cost effective for him (during the summer months.) Do a google map search, see who has pools around you and go catch them at home. Pick their brains.. My PB works from referrals. In fact the other night he called to see if he could show "potential clients" our pool. He is pretty proud of it, and so am I. I checked about 5 of his pools out. I know I have solid rock about 2 feet down.. I wasn't charged anything extra for chomping thru that. Two builders I interviewed quoted an hourly charge (like yours..) Which I thought was "normal." I asked my PB about that, and he said he's built many pools in my neighborhood, and already had that built in to his price. No surprises.. At least go talk to a neighbor with a pool and ask if they hit rock OR water. (Another issue...) Do a google map search and see who has pools.

I am a Realtor, (24 years) so I see 100's of pools and I don't mind asking folks questions about their pools and equipment. Homeowners love to tell you about their pools!! If you are South, I'd give you my PB as an excellent builder. If I knew which area you are in, I'd call some of my associates and ask who they would recommend. We lived in Arlington for 25 years.. until we wanted a couple of acres.......... a "man cave" and a pool.

Good luck!!! PM me if you want the nitty gritty details.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.